Grilled chicken and healthy vegetables piled on lettuce make this low-carb chicken power bowl a great lunch or dinner idea. The flavors are light and delicious and won’t leave you feeling sluggish. This easy low-carb chicken recipe is excellent when you want something light and filling.
Low-carb chicken recipes are my go-to for healthy meals when I’m eating lighter. A chicken power bowl is always a favorite because it’s great for lunches or dinners. It combines grilled chicken with a medley of healthy veggies for a light meal that won’t leave you sluggish.
Easy Low Carb Power Bowl
I call this a power bowl because it leaves me feeling energized, especially at lunch. I hate getting those afternoon slumps and so having a low-carb lunch really helps avoid that feeling.
You get a lot of protein from the chicken, and the vegetables add a lot of color and flavor. This chicken power bowl has a Mexican-inspired theme with salsa and a Mexican-style salad dressing.
Unlike a salad, the chicken and veggies are served warm over the lettuce. I like the contrast in the temperatures, and it makes it feel more like a hearty meal.
If you are looking for low-carb chicken recipes, this is definitely a good one to try.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Olive oil
- Diced zucchini
- Diced yellow squash
- Diced red bell pepper
- Chili powder
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Sliced avocado
- Salad dressing – we like Southwestern Ranch or cilantro dressing
How to Make a Chicken Power Bowl
Preheat the grill to 350°F. While it’s heating, season the chicken with taco seasoning. Grill the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes or until it’s 165°F and the juices run clear. Cover and set it aside while you prepare the rest of the dish.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the peppers for a few minutes, and then add the zucchini and yellow squash. Mix in the cumin, chili powder, and salt, and cook everything until the veggies are tender.
Divide the lettuce between the serving bowls. Next, slice the chicken and divide it between the two bowls. Add the cooked vegetables and add the sliced avocado. Spoon the salsa and dressing over the top. Serve while the vegetables and chicken are warm.
I like the combination of squash, zucchini, and peppers for this recipe but feel free to use a variety of vegetables you like – just keep in mind the cooking time, and chicken power bowl calories will vary if you switch up the veggies.
The dressing is optional, and sometimes I just use salsa as a dressing. If you opt for a dressing, any flavor that goes with Mexican flavors will work well.
If you are following the Optavia diet, I’ve included the recipe breakdown in the recipe card, so be sure to check that out.
How to Make It for Meal Prep
This is one of my favorite low-carb chicken breast recipes because it’s perfect for meal prepping. If you like to prepare meals ahead of time, this is a good choice.
You can grill the chicken, cook the vegetables ahead of time, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep well for up to four days.
When ready to eat, warm the chicken and veggies in the microwave and then assemble the bowl following the recipe. You can also just toss the chicken and veggies with the lettuce cold. I think the best meals are filling but don’t leave you tired, sluggish, and needing a nap after. It’s even better if it’s an easy low-carb chicken recipe like this chicken bowl. It will definitely give you the energy to tackle your afternoon if you have it for lunch – I hope you give it a try.
More Low Carb Meals You'll Enjoy
Low Carb Grilled Chicken Power Bowl Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups romaine lettuce shredded
- 1 ½ cups zucchini diced
- 1 ½ cups yellow squash diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons store bought taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing see note
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- Season chicken with 2 teaspoons taco seasoning. Preheat oven to 350°F and grill chicken for 10-12 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F. Let rest for 5 minutes and then cut into bite sized pieces. Keep warm
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and cook 2-3 minutes. Then add zucchini and yellow squash. Add cumin, chili powder and salt and cook until vegetables soften but are not mushy. Remove from heat.
- Serve by adding lettuce to the bottom of each bowl. Add vegetables and chicken on top. Add dressing or salsa. Best if served warm.
- You can use your favorite dressing that compliments Mexican style food. You can use salsa for your dressing, a cilantro dressing or southwestern ranch.
- For Optavia users: Use a dressing that counts as 2 tablespoons = 1 healthy fat. Be sure to measure your vegetables. Per serving: 1 leaner, 3 greens, 1 healthy fat, 3 condiments. (includes 1 tablespoon of salsa).
This Low Carb Chicken Power Bowl combines grilled chicken with a ton of healthy veggies for a lighter meal that still keeps you full and not sluggish.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.