Roasted Green Beans are a quick and easy side dish that’s great for weeknight dinners or holiday meals. You only need five ingredients and a few minutes of prep time to make them.
Roasting is one of my favorite cooking methods, especially for vegetables. When you cook them at a high heat in the oven, they caramelize, and the natural sweetness comes out. For very little work, you can have a side dish with a lot of flavor.
Many vegetables are great for roasting, and green beans are one of them. When they are raw, they are crisp with a little bit of chew. However, once roasted, they soften and caramelize. They are delicious plain, but you can add other ingredients to give them more flavor.
Once you know how to roast green beans, you can serve them as a side dish with all kinds of different main dishes. They’re great for quick dinners during the week or make them for holiday dinners like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Fresh green beans
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
How to Roast Green Beans in the Oven
1. Trim the stems on the green beans and place them in a large bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat the green beans evenly.
3. Spread them on a baking sheet in an even layer and roast them for 15 to 20 minutes at 400°F. Stir them a couple of times while they’re roasting, so they cook evenly.
4. When they are done, sprinkle more Parmesan on top before serving them.
What to Serve with Oven-Roasted Green Beans
The flavors in this side dish pair with lots of main dishes. Try serving them with steak, baked chicken, or seared pork chops. They’re also delicious with fish like cod or salmon.
For holidays, they will go great with ham, turkey, or roast chicken.
How long to roast green beans? It will depend on the oven temperature. I like to roast them at 400°F. At this temperature, they will take between 15 and 20 minutes.
How do you know when they are done cooking? They should be softened and caramelized in spots but not burned. If you aren’t sure, taste one. It should be soft but not mushy.
What else can you add to roasted green beans? You can garnish them with fresh lemon juice (a couple of squeezes) and chopped fresh herbs like parsley or chives. You can also toss them with finely chopped nuts like walnuts or almonds.
How long do they keep? Keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and they will keep well for a few days. Once you try this roasted green bean recipe, you will find you can pair it with so many dishes. It’s versatile, easy to make, and tastes great. Enjoy!
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes You'll Enjoy
Roasted Green Beans Recipe
- 12 oz. bag fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
- Add green beans and coat fully
- Place green beans in an even layer on a baking sheet
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Stir a couple of time. You want the beans softened but not burned. Sprinkle a little more parmesan on top and serve!
These Roasted Green Beans take very little work, making them a perfect easy side dish!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.