This slow cooker chicken thigh recipe is the perfect weeknight meal.
With marsala wine, garlic, mushrooms, and asparagus, slow cooker chicken thighs make for a hearty dinner!
Easy slow cooker chicken thighs recipes are a must to have on hand. You never know when you need to throw together a last-minute recipe in the slow cooker!
For slow cooker chicken thighs bone in works. Or, you can even use boneless skinless chicken thighs, up to you!
This recipe is so easy! Just a few simple steps and you’re slow cookin’!
How to make slow cooker chicken thighs bone in:
- Easy the chicken well on both sides with salt and better. If you can sear in your slow cooker, sear the chicken thighs until golden brown on both sides with a little olive oil. Or, using a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sear the chicken thighs until golden brown on all sides, place into a slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms on top.
- Mix together the sauce consisting of marsala wine, chicken stock, and garlic. Pour on top.
- Place the top on and slow cook until your desired tenderness.
- In the last 20 minutes of cook time, add the asparagus to the pot.
- If you like a thicker sauce, take the chicken thighs and asparagus out of the pot. On high, pour in a cornstarch slurry until thickened. Serve sauce on top of chicken and vegetables.
How long do chicken thighs take in the slow cooker?
Chicken thighs take 5 to 6 hours on low.
How long do you need to cook chicken in a slow cooker on high?
On high heat, chicken thighs take 2-4 hours.
Can you put frozen chicken thighs in the slow cooker?
Yes! I highly suggest using thawed chicken for this since the sear on the outside adds an extra layer of flavor.
However, in a pinch, you can use frozen. They will cook longer, high for 4 hours or 6-8 hours on low.
Marsala slow cooker chicken thighs recipe is a must to have in your recipe arsenal!
I know you will make this one again and again!
How to make slow cooker chicken thighs
Slow Cooker Marsala Chicken ThighsPrint
- 6 chicken thighs*
- to taste kosher salt
- to taste fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms** sliced
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into 2 inch sections, woody ends removed
- cornstarch slurry
Season chicken thighs well on all sides with salt and pepper. Sear chicken thighs over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until golden brown on all sides. You can do this in your slow cooker if you can sear in it, or in a large skillet. Place chicken into slow cooker.
Add the mushrooms on top. In a small bowl, whisk together the wine, stock, garlic, and thyme. Pour on top of everything. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low 4-6 hours until desired tenderness.
20 minutes before the thighs are done, add in the asparagus to cook until tender crisp. If you would like a thicker sauce, take out the asparagus and chicken, set aside. Place slow cooker on high, uncovered and add the cornstarch slurry, whisk and cook until thickened. You can also pour the sauce into a saucepot over medium-high heat and thicken with cornstarch slurry whisked in.
*Can be bone-in or boneless skinless.
**Or mushrooms of your choice.
A professional Chef turned blogger, Dana offers up daily recipes featuring tips and tricks from the restaurant industry. She loves to make the most timid home cook confident in the kitchen with picture and video tutorials of delicious dishes. She resides in Florida with her Hubby, Jeremy and their fur babies.