Homemade Salisbury Steak is a rich and comforting dinner that’s easy to make at home. Seasoned beef patties are cooked and then simmered in a rich gravy with mushrooms. Serve it over egg noodles for a delicious dinner.
There are just some dishes I will never get tired of, and one of them is Salisbury steak. It’s a classic comfort food recipe made with hamburger, seasonings, and a rich gravy with mushrooms.
What’s great about it is that it’s easy to make. If you’ve ever made meatloaf, you can make this Salisbury steak recipe!
What is Salisbury steak?
Despite the name, it’s actually not a traditional steak dish. Instead, ground beef is formed into “steak” patties and then browned in a pan and served with brown gravy and mushrooms. The meat is usually made with breadcrumbs and flavored with dried herbs and seasonings. It’s a classic American comfort food dish – it’s hearty, rich, and filling.
I love this recipe because you can cook the beef, mushrooms, and sauce all in one pan. There are a few steps, but each one is easy. The result is delicious!
Once you know how to make Salisbury steak, you’ll want it whenever it’s cold and chilly. It’s definitely a great way to warm up!
How to Make the Patties
The patties are made the same way you would make a meatloaf. All you do is mix these ingredients in a bowl:
- Ground beef
- Lightly beaten egg
- Chopped yellow onion
- Salt and pepper
Once mixed, divide the mixture into four equal parts. Shape each into a patty and then cook them in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat until they are browned and cooked through.
Once they are cooked, go ahead and take them out of the pan and place them on a plate or cutting board. You will add them back to the pan once the gravy is cooked.
Sauté the Mushrooms
Add some more olive oil to the pan, and then cook the sliced mushrooms. The mushrooms will soak up all the flavor left behind by the beef, making them even more delicious. Once they are cooked, after about four to five minutes, take them out of the pan and set them aside with the patties.
How to Make Salisbury Steak Gravy
Once you’ve cooked the beef and mushrooms, you can make the gravy. Cooking it in the same pan gives it the best flavor because all of the browned bits left behind by the patties and mushrooms infuse the sauce with tons of flavor. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Beef powder and beef broth
- Minced garlic
- Unsalted butter
- Onion powder
- Dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper
Combine the broth and powder in a microwave-safe bowl. Warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until the powder dissolves.
Melt the butter in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, flour, sage, onion, and rosemary. Stir and cook the mixture for one minute.
Slowly add the beef broth while whisking. Once smooth, bring the liquid to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Whisk continuously until the gravy has thickened. Add the salt and pepper.
Place the patties and mushrooms into the pan with the sauce. Simmer for a few minutes or until the patties are warmed through.
What to Serve with Salisbury Steak
We love this dish served over hot egg noodles, but you could also serve it with cooked rice.
You can also serve it plain with sliced bread like a baguette or Italian loaf on the side. The bread is great for soaking up the gravy.
Or, add a cooked vegetable like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or a fresh green salad for a lighter side dish. This recipe is easy enough for a weeknight but great for guests, too. The flavors are so good, and it will fill you up. I hope you give this Salisbury steak recipe a try. Enjoy!
Other Dinners You'll Enjoy
Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 8 ounce mushrooms sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg noodles for serving optional
- 2 teaspoons beef powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ¼ all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the beef with the egg, breadcrumbs, onion and about ½ teaspoon and salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Divide meat into 4 equal sized portions shaped into patties.
- If using egg noodles cook using the directions on the package.
- Pre-heat large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Brown the patties, about 4-6 minutes per side. Set patties aside on a plate.
- In the same pan cook add another teaspoon of olive oil and cook the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes and set aside with the patties.
- In a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup add beef powder to beef broth. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir, repeat until the beef powder dissolves. You can use 2 bouillon cubes instead of beef powder. It works fine but takes longer to dissolve.
- In the same pan, add garlic for 30 seconds
- In a saucepan melt the butter over medium high heat. Mix in flour, sage, thyme, rosemary and onion powder. Cook for about a minute to cook the flour. Slowly add in the broth while whisking slowly until smooth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook. Whisk until smooth and thick, 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve.
- Add the patties and mushrooms back into the pan and mix the grave with the patties and mushrooms. Cook until meat is cooked through, 2-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve over the noodles.
Homemade Salisbury Steak is a rich and comforting dinner that’s easy to make at home. Serve it over egg noodles for a delicious meal.