This Steak Salad has lots of fresh vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado, plus crumbled gorgonzola cheese and pine nuts for lots of flavor. The combination of juicy, tender steak with crisp lettuce and veggies is perfect for a light dinner or lunch.
One of our favorite ways to enjoy steak is in a healthy salad with lots of vegetables. This easy steak salad has a combination of flavors and textures that is always a hit when we make it.
It’s filling but light and great on its own as a meal or with bread on the side. If you’ve been looking for a new steak salad recipe to try, this one is one of our favorites.
Table of Contents
Best Steak for Steak Salad
For this recipe, I like flank steak. It’s a tougher cut, so I marinate it for at least 30 minutes before cooking it, which helps tenderize it. Once cooked, you can slice it thinly against the grain, so it is nice and tender.
You can also use skirt steak, which is often used in fajitas and stir-fry recipes. Both flank and skirt steak are great for marinating and cook pretty fast, making them an excellent option for this salad.
If you want to skip the marinade (and possibly spend a little more), you can use sirloin, tenderloin, and strip steak for your salad. These cuts are very tender and don’t need a marinade unless you want to add some additional flavor.
Once you have your steak, you’re ready to make the salad!
Steak Salad Ingredients
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Flank steak
- Crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Sliced English cucumber
- Thawed corn kernels
- Sliced avocado
- Roma tomato wedges
- Sliced red onion
- Pine nuts
- Store-bought vinaigrette
How to Make Steak Salad
Marinate the flank steak for 30 minutes. I like to grill it, but you can also cook it in a pan on the stove. Cook the steak to medium-rare, which means the internal temperature is 130 to 135°F. Let the steak rest, and then slice it into bite-sized pieces.
Place the lettuce, sliced steak, cucumber, corn, avocado, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Sprinkle the cheese and pine nuts over the top of the salad before serving.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Once you’ve made this salad, it’s easy to make ingredient swaps to change up the flavors.
- Change up the dressing – we like a tangy vinaigrette, but other flavors will work, too. Try a creamy dressing like blue cheese or ranch. Or, swap it for an Italian-style dressing or even honey mustard.
- Nuts – sub chopped walnuts or almonds for the pine nuts.
- Cheese – feta cheese works well, or try garnishing the salad with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Lettuce – spinach, spring greens, and iceberg are easy ways to change up the salad. Or, do a combination of lettuces for different textures.
The best salads are ones that have a variety of flavors and textures. This steak salad definitely hits all the marks! It’s filling without being heavy, so it’s a great option when you want something light but satisfying. Enjoy!
More Salad Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Steak Salad Recipe
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 pound flank steak
- ¾ cup gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- ½ English cucumber sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes wedged
- ½ medium red onion sliced
- Pine nuts to garnish
- Store bought balsamic vinaigrette
- Marinate steak with store bought 30 minute marinade of your choice (we used a mesquite lime marinade). Barbeque steak to medium rare (130° to 135°F internal temperature). Let steak cool. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- In a large serving bowl combine all ingredients except the cheese and pine nuts. Toss with salad dressing.
- Add cheese and pine nuts over the top. Serve.
If you’ve been looking for a new Steak Salad recipe to try, this is one of our favorites. The combination of juicy, tender steak with crisp lettuce and veggies is perfect for a light dinner or lunch.