A simple House Salad is a recipe everyone needs on hand. It’s a fresh and crisp salad that is easy to toss together. Plus, it doubles as both a side dish or a main dish. Top the fresh vegetables, croutons, and chicken with your favorite dressing, and it will be your go-to salad recipe when you’re craving something light.
We love to make salads all year at our house and always have different ingredients on hand so we can easily toss one together. One of our favorites is a house salad – a basic salad recipe with just a few ingredients.
Table of Contents
What is a House Salad?
There are many variations but often with a common theme. The salad is crisp and fresh usually has some combination of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons. Sometimes there’s cheese and other ingredients.
It’s a simple salad without a lot of bells and whistles. Because of this, it makes a great side dish, but you can also add a protein to make it more of a meal.
As far as the dressing, that’s up to you. I’m sharing some of our favorites, but pretty much any dressing you like will go well with it.
House Salad Ingredients
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Sliced beefsteak tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Crumbled crispy bacon
- Sliced cucumber
- Diced cooked chicken breast
How to Make It
- Layer the chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onion, bacon, cucumber, chicken, and croutons in a large salad bowl.
- You can add the dressing and gently toss it all together or toss the salad and serve the dressing on the side so everyone can add their own.
Although there are common ingredients in a house salad, what goes in a house salad can be adjusted based on what you like. So, feel free to add or omit vegetables to put your spin on it. Save this house salad recipe for the next time you’re craving something light. Pair it with your favorite dinner recipes, or serve it all on its own. It’s delicious either way – enjoy!
Other Salad Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Simple House Salad Recipe
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- ½ red onion sliced
- 5 slices of crispy bacon crumbled
- 1/2 large cucumber sliced
- 1 cup chicken breast cooked and cubed
- Put lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber and chicken in a large bowl. Mix together well
- Use your favorite store bought dressing (we used a balsamic vinaigrette). Add croutons.
A Simple House Salad can have many variations, but this one is the original without any bells or whistles. It makes the perfect side salad!