Make an easy, gourmet green salad perfect for holiday entertaining, healthy weeknight dinners, or dinner parties.
Fall salad with Maple Vinaigrette combines fresh greens, candied nuts, crisp apples, dried cranberries, and tangy blue cheese all tossed together in a deliciously easy dressing.
Fall Salad with Maple Vinaigrette combines sweet, tangy, fresh, and toasty flavors in one easy-to-make gourmet dish.
I have made this autumn salad on countless occasions, and it never disappoints. When guests come back for second and third helpings, you know it’s no ordinary salad.
Fall Salad is an explosion of flavors and textures with fresh greens, crisp apples, toasted candied nuts, creamy blue cheese, and chewy dried cranberries. Rave reviews are inevitable!
The extra five minutes of preparation to make the maple vinaigrette dressing is well worth it. Simply measure the ingredients into a lidded jar or a secure container, shake to mix, and voilà – homemade dressing in minutes!
Can the Maple Vinaigrette Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, and this makes entertaining so much easier.
For parties, assemble Fall Salad without the apples and dressing, then cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Prepare the maple dressing and store in refrigerator.
When ready to serve, add sliced apples, give the vinaigrette a quick shake, and toss all together with the salad.
Alternately, serve the vinaigrette on the side and allow guests to dress their own salad. This will prevent the salad from becoming wilted while sitting.
Alternative Fall Salad Toppings or Additions
- Sliced pears
- Pepitas or Sunflower Seeds
- Sliced chicken breast or chopped rotisserie chicken
- Goat cheese
- Brie cheese
- Grains – quinoa, farro, or couscous
- Pomegranate seeds
- Roasted vegetables, such as Maple Roasted Butternut Squash or Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- crumbled bacon
Fall salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, regular or light
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounce spring mix
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup candied nuts
- Place all dressing ingredients in a lidded jar. Shake vigorously until dressing is creamy and emulsified. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Put spring mix in a large serving bowl and place remaining ingredients on top. Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and toss to combine.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup goes perfectly with Fall Salad!