Learn how to make a Salad Bar Board that is great as an easy dinner or a fun way to serve salad for a party. Just like a salad bar, all of the ingredients are piled on the board, so it’s easy to choose different toppings and dressings so everyone can customize their own. It’s a fun and easy way to eat a healthy salad for dinner.
Sometimes all it takes is a little creativity to get our family to eat more veggies, and a salad bar board is one of our favorite ways to make salad fun at our house. Especially if you have kids – there’s something about piling all of the lettuce and salad toppings so that they can customize their own. It makes the battle to eat more vegetables a lot easier.
It’s fun for adults, too. Just like a charcuterie board or cheese platter, a salad board is an opportunity to create something that’s not only delicious but great to look at, too. The best news is that it’s not hard to do and makes a great option if you’re looking for easy 30 minute meals to try.
How Do You Make a Salad Bar?
To make a salad bar board, you will need a large board (a cutting board or cheese board works great) or even use a large rimmed sheet pan.
You will also need a few small bowls and a sharp knife to prep the salad ingredients.
There aren’t any rules for making a salad board – you can easily customize it with your favorite salad ingredients. When I develop new versions, I usually try to include one main protein, one or two types of lettuce, a few vegetable options, and toppings like bacon bits, different nuts, and cheese. Oh, and don’t forget a salad dressing – I like to have two different kinds.
To assemble, place some of the toppings and dressing options in the small bowls and pile other ingredients like lettuce, diced, or sliced vegetables on the board. Use tongs to make it easy for everyone to serve themselves, and that’s it. It’s really easy to do.
If you want some inspiration, this is a chicken salad bar board we like to make a lot. Feel free to swap the ingredients with the ones you like better. Or, just leave out the ones you don’t like.
Here are the salad bar ingredients we like:
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Cooked chicken cut into cubes
- Sliced avocados
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sliced red bell peppers
- Tortilla strips
- Cooked bacon crumbles
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced almonds
- Chopped celery
- Sliced red onion
- Store-bought honey mustard dressing and balsamic vinaigrette
To assemble, I like to put a small bowl in each corner of the board. Fill two of them with dressings and the other two with the nuts and shredded cheese.
Place the lettuce in a pile down the center of the board and then fill in each side with the other ingredients. Add some spoons for serving the dressing and tongs for grabbing the salad ingredients and let everyone make their own.
Tips and Easy Salad Bar Ideas
Use a rotisserie chicken to make this salad bar really easy. You can also use cooked shredded turkey or even sliced or diced ham.
I think every salad needs some crunch, and there are lots of options – use chopped nuts like walnuts, almonds, and cashews or add some sunflower seeds.
You can use crushed tortilla chips in place of the strips or try crispy wonton strips.
Switch up the lettuce and use iceberg, spring greens mix, butter lettuce, or do a combination of lettuces.
We like to add some good bread to go with the salad, like a baguette or loaf of sourdough.
Use your favorite salad dressing like ranch dressing, blue cheese, or other kinds that you like. This is a really fun way to eat more salads and once you try it, you might not go back to the old way of serving one. The possibilities are endless so feel free to experiment and create your own special salad bar board for your family. Enjoy!
Other Salads You'll Enjoy
Salad Bar Board Recipe
- 1 head Romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 medium chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 2 small avocados sliced
- 1 10 ounce package cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups store bought tortilla strips
- 5 slices bacon cooked crisp
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 store bought salad dressings of your choice we used a honey mustard and balsamic vinaigrette
- Put dressings, almonds and cheese in small serving bowls. Place one in each corner of the board. Place lettuce down the middle of the board. Add each ingredient in a pile down the sides of the board.
- Pick and choose the ingredients you like. Toss on your plate and enjoy.
- Have fun with this and use the ingredients you love. Maybe sunflower seeds instead of almonds. Add in some mushrooms.
- Serve with some good bread. We like sourdough or a French baguette.
- You can pick up a rotisserie chicken and shred it to eliminate cooking it. You can change up your protein as well. Maybe some quinoa.
Creating a salad bar board is a fun twist and an easy way to eat a healthy salad for dinner. We love doing this for dinner parties or get togethers!