Tahini sauce is a versatile sauce that can be served in many ways. Use this sauce as a dip, spread, or sauce to add a distinctive and delicious flavor to so many dishes. It’s easy to make with just a few ingredients.
One of my favorite easy sauce recipes to make is tahini sauce. It has a great flavor and can be used in so many ways. Plus, it’s easy to make in just a few minutes.
In this post, I’m showing you how to make a simple tahini sauce that is great as a dip or added to other recipes.
What is Tahini Sauce?
Tahini is a type of sauce or condiment from the Middle East and Mediterranean region made from sesame seeds. It’s enjoyed as a paste or a thinner sauce that can be used to make dressings, dips, or as a sauce for grilled meat like chicken.
Tahini has a slightly nutty flavor, and the texture when you turn it into a sauce is very creamy and velvety.
My tahini sauce recipe starts with prepared tahini paste that is doctored up and thinned into a sauce consistency. It’s really flavorful and can be used in all kinds of ways.
Tahini Sauce Ingredients
- Lemon juice
- Minced garlic
How to Make It
Combine the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Continue mixing and slowly add the water. Add enough water so that the sauce is pourable but not too thin. You shouldn’t need any more than two to three tablespoons of water.
Taste the sauce and adjust the flavors with more lemon juice or salt. Keep the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
How to Use It
There are so many ways to use tahini sauce. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve it.
- Serve it as a dip with vegetables and pita bread.
- Use it to make homemade hummus.
- Spread it on toast.
- Add it to soups.
- Use it as a salad dressing.
- Serve it as a sauce with chicken or grilled vegetables.
Store-bought tahini paste will keep for several months. I like to keep on it hand so I can make this sauce. Once you’ve made the sauce, it will keep for several days in the refrigerator. Just keep it in an airtight container.
You can adjust the thickness of the sauce by how much water you add. So, be sure to add it slowly until it reaches your desired thickness.
Technically, you can freeze homemade tahini, but it’s so easy to make I usually make it as I want instead of making and freezing it ahead. Add some tahini paste to your shopping list so you can give this easy dip a try. Once you do, you’ll find all kinds of ways to use it to make delicious dishes. Enjoy!
Dishes To Go With This Sauce
Tahini Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 – 3 tablespoons water
- Pinch cumin
- Pinch salt
- Add all ingredients except water into a medium sized mixing bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add water and mix. You want the consistency to be pourable but not loose. Keep adding water until you have that consistency. Probably 2 tablespoons.
- Season to taste by adding more lemon or salt if that is how you like it.
- Serve with vegetables and Pita bread.
- You can use this sauce on anything you like. You can put it on toast, add it to soups, use it as a salad dressing and it can be used in other main dishes to add a distinct flavor.
Tahini Sauce has a slightly nutty flavor and is so perfect as a dressing, dip or as a sauce for grilled meat like chicken.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.