If you’re eating low-carb you will love this Keto Chicken Salad Recipe! It has tender chicken, avocado, boiled eggs, green onions and a creamy dressing flavored with lemon juice and Dijon mustard. It’s a creamy, cool salad that you can serve in lettuce wraps for a delicious low-carb meal.
This chicken salad is so delicious and it just happens to be a keto salad! It’s low-carb but you’d never guess – it’s full of flavor, filling, and made with regular ingredients. It definitely doesn’t taste like “diet food”!
I love this keto chicken salad all year round for lunch or light dinners, but it’s especially nice during the summer when you want something cool. It’s loaded with good-for-you ingredients that will keep you feeling satisfied and happy! There’s nothing worse than having some low-carb dish and end up feeling hungry again after an hour. I can promise you won’t have that problem with this dish.
This Chicken Salad is Keto-Friendly!
If you’ve ever wondered if chicken salad is on the keto diet, I am happy to report making chicken salad keto is really easy! My recipe meets keto diet requirements - if you’ve been looking for a new keto salad to try this is the perfect one.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it!
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped celery
- Sliced or chopped hard-boiled eggs
- Chopped green onion
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Tips for Cooking the Chicken
For the chicken, I usually cook mine in the Instant Pot. I’ve included the instructions in the recipe card, but you can also use grilled chicken or cook the chicken on the stove.
When we have chicken breasts for dinner, I usually make extra so I can have some on hand to make this chicken salad the next day. It’s a great way to use up leftovers!
How to Assemble Keto Chicken Salad with Avocado
It doesn’t get any easier than a combine and stir recipe! This keto chicken salad is so simple to make:
- First, slice the avocado in half and set one half aside. Cut the other half into small chunks and place them in a bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken, onion, celery, eggs, and green onions to the bowl.
- Place the other half of the avocado in a separate bowl with the mayo, lemon juice, mustard and garlic powder. The easiest way to combine the ingredients is with an immersion blender which will make it easy to break down the avocado and create a creamy dressing. You can also do it by hand and mash and stir with a fork until smooth.
- Add the dressing to the chicken mixture and mix until well combined. Stir in the parsley.
Use it to Make Delicious Keto Chicken Salad Wraps
I love to serve this salad with lettuce for low-carb lettuce wraps. The best lettuce to use is either bibb lettuce or romaine leaves. You want to use lettuce that is sturdy enough to hold the salad without falling apart. Those both work great!
All the Ways to Customize this Recipe!
I think the best recipes are ones you can customize and change up! This chicken salad is one of them – there are a lot of ways to put your own spin on it with different ingredients. Here are some ideas!
- If you’re not a fan of mayonnaise or just want to lighten it up you can substitute the same amount of plain Greek yogurt. It will give the salad a tangier flavor, but it works really well!
- Sometimes I add crispy crumbled bacon and it’s delicious.
- Mix in some crumbled feta cheese – it adds a little bit of a creamy salty bite!
- Some people love grapes in chicken salad so if you do feel free to add them in.
If you’ve been following a keto diet, I think you will love this chicken salad recipe. Even if you’re not eating low-carb you should try it! It’s so delicious and loaded with flavor. I hope you love it!
Other Dinners You'll Enjoy
Keto Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 pound cooked chicken breasts* 2 breasts, shredded
- 1 avocado divided
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place shredded chicken in a large bowl. Cut avocado in half, setting one half aside. Chop the other half and add to the bowl with chicken.
- Add chopped onion, celery, eggs, and scallions to the bowl.
- Combine the mayo, ½ avocado, lemon juice, mustard and garlic powder. You can mix by hand, but I find an immersion blender to work quite well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mayo dressing to the bowl and mix until well combined. Mix in parsley.
- Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes. Serve on a bed of bib lettuce, if desired. Or wrapped in a leaf of romaine.
If you are interested in a low-carb diet, you will love this Keto Chicken Salad! Tender chicken, avocado, eggs, green onions and a creamy dressing kicked up a notch with Dijon mustard will be your new go-to meal!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.