Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are an EASY 30 minute meal – make delicious fajitas with onions and peppers with minimal clean-up. The chicken and veggies cook under the broiler, so they get a little char. Serve this sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe with flour tortillas and all of your favorite toppings.
Table of Contents
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe
This Chicken Fajita Recipe is easy to make at home and taste just as good as a restaurant. Instead of cooking them in a large skillet on the stove, you can cook everything on a sheet pan in the oven. It’s a great way to enjoy this Mexican dish.
I also like this recipe because it’s not a heavy dish. The vegetables and chicken breasts are light and not cooked in a lot of oil. Sometimes I enjoy the fajitas as is for a low-carb meal or you can also make a fajita bowl with rice.
This is a great weeknight dinner, but it’s also fun to make for guests. You can cook a big batch of oven chicken fajitas and make a fajita bar with all of the toppings for people to choose from.
Ingredients in Oven Fajitas
- Cooking spray – so your chicken doesn’t stick to the pan
- Sliced bell peppers – We love using red bell peppers and yellow bell peppers but you could also add a green pepper.
- Sliced yellow onion – Slice them about the same thickness as the peppers.
- Olive oil
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the best to use for this recipe.
- Fajita seasoning – or use taco seasoning if that’s what you have on hand. If you have a great homemade fajita seasoning you can use that, but we buy the easy packets (and sometimes add a bit more chili powder because we like them spicy).
- Flour tortillas – or use corn tortillas if you prefer.
- Cheese – We love using shredded Monterey jack cheese, but cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend cheese works great too!
- Toppings: Salsa, sliced avocados, and sour cream, lime
How to Make Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Position an oven rack in the top of the oven and turn on the broiler to preheat.
- While the oven preheats, line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the sliced peppers and onions in an even layer on the prepared pan. Drizzle a tablespoon of oil over the top.
- Place the pan under the broiler and cook the peppers and onions until they are softened for about seven to ten minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, prep the chicken. First, slice the chicken into thin strips and then place them in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over the top, and then add the rest of the olive oil. Toss the chicken with the oil and seasoning, so it’s evenly coated.
- When the vegetables are softened, take the pan out of the oven. Place the chicken strips in an even layer on top of the peppers and onions.
- Put the pan back under the broil for five to seven minutes or until the chicken cooked through – the internal temperature should be 165°F.
- Place the chicken fajitas on warm tortillas and add the cheese, avocado, and sour cream.
Make steak fajitas with flank steak or skirt steak. Thinly slice the beef and cook it on top of the onions and peppers until it’s done to your liking.
Or, you can make shrimp fajitas. Use peeled and deveined shrimp, toss them in the seasoning, and cook them with the vegetables.
Make sure not to overcook the chicken. Only cook it until it reaches 165°F otherwise it’ll be over cooked and dry.
Use a thick rimmed baking sheet – like a cookie sheet – for this recipe.
Broil these on high temperature.
Broiling these makes them nice and crispy – and don’t overcook the vegetables. The key is making sure the chicken slices aren’t too large – then they’ll cook at the same rate as the peppers.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 packet fajita seasoning approximately 1 ounce
- 2 large bell peppers sliced (any color. We used red and yellow)
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 6 8 ” flour tortillas
- 1-2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- Salsa avocado, sliced and sour cream on the side
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat broiler on high. Move rack up to the top. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange onions and peppers in an even layer on the baking sheet. Put 1 tablespoon of oil drizzled on the onions and peppers. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until peppers and onions are soft but not burned.
- Cut chicken into thin slices. Put them in a large bowl. Add the fajita seasoning and 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix well with the chicken.
- Once the peppers and onions are done add the chicken on top of the peppers and onions in a single layer. Return to the broiler for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165°F)
- Serve with warm tortillas, salsa, avocado and sour cream.
- If you don’t have fajita seasoning you can use taco seasoning.
- You can substitute chicken with steak or shrimp.
- You don’t have to use the broiler. You can bake them instead. We used the broiler to get a little char.
- Cilantro, Jalapeno peppers and lime juice also go well with your fajitas
Side Dishes for Your Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
We love making these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas for the whole family. Serve them with flour tortillas and all of your favorite toppings. Oven Baked Fajitas are the perfect simple dinner – we love them!