Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is an easy two-ingredient chicken recipe! Boneless, skinless chicken breasts simmer in salsa until they are falling apart tender. Shred them and serve the salsa chicken with tortillas and rice, or use it to make a salad. It’s a great easy dinner recipe.
It doesn’t get much easier than a 2-ingredient main dish like this slow cooker salsa chicken. It’s the best slow cooker recipe because it takes less than five minutes to prep, and then you leave it to simmer for a few hours.
You can also serve this slow cooker salsa chicken recipe in several different ways – we love to use salsa chicken to make tacos, but it’s also delicious served over rice. The leftovers are great, too! I like to toss them with a salad for easy lunches.
You can serve crockpot salsa chicken plain or add your favorite Mexican toppings. Once you try it, I know it will be a go-to meal in your kitchen like it is in ours.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Green salsa
How to Make Salsa Chicken in a Slow Cooker
Place the chicken in a single layer in the slow cooker.
Pour the salsa over the top of the chicken.
Cook the salsa chicken on high for three hours or until it’s cooked through.
Shred the chicken with two forks, stir, and it’s ready to serve.,
You can use a 4.5-quart to 7-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
We love to make this slow cooker salsa verde chicken with green salsa, but red salsa works great, too.
Every slow cooker is different, so it’s good to check the chicken after two hours. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature in the thickest part. If it’s 165°F, the chicken is done. If it’s less than that, cook it for up to an hour longer.
Store the leftover slow cooker salsa chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep well for three days. They’re great cold, or reheat them in the microwave.
Make It a Meal
- Tacos: Wrap the salsa chicken in corn tortillas or flour tortillas with your favorite taco toppings.
- Enchiladas: Or, wrap salsa slow cooker chicken up in tortillas with some cheese, place them in a baking dish, and top them with enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly.
- Nachos: Pile the shredded chicken on tortilla chips, add some cheese and bake until the cheese is melted. Add all of your favorite nacho toppings for a fun dinner.
- Chicken Taco Bowls: Pile the shredded chicken on rice and add sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, and green onions for a delicious taco bowl.
- Wraps: Use your favorite sandwich wraps and wrap the chicken up with lettuce, cheese, and other fillings you like for an easy wrap.
- Salad: Toss the salsa chicken with lettuce, black beans, corn, diced bell peppers, and your favorite Mexican-style dressing for an easy taco salad.
There are so many possibilities with this slow cooker chicken with salsa. It’s a two-ingredient recipe that can be turned into so many different meals – how will you serve it? Be sure to leave a comment and let me know. Enjoy!
More Easy Slow Cooker Meals
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 1- pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12 –16-ounce jar of salsa we used green, but you can use red as well
- Place chicken in a 4.5-to-7-quart slow cooker in a single layer (you can use a liner if you want). Cover chicken with salsa.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. At the two-hour mark use an instant read thermometer to check temperature in the thickest part of the breast. Once it reaches 165°F the chicken is done. Shred the chicken. We use two forks to pull it apart. Stir with salsa. Serve!!
• Great for leftovers refrigerate for up to 3 days.
It truly doesn’t get much easier than crockpot meals and this meal is no exception!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.