This Crock Pot Mac and Cheese with sausage is a creamy, cheesy, hearty dish that’s easy to make. You can prep this recipe and then leave the mac and cheese to cook in the slow cooker – it comes out with tender pasta, savory sausage, and a creamy cheese sauce in every bite!
Crock pot mac and cheese can be tricky, but with the right ingredients, you can make creamy, cheesy mac and cheese without a lot of work!
My recipe has the right ratio of ingredients, so you get tender pasta and the best cheese sauce. It’s smooth and creamy – not grainy or stringy, which can be a problem with slow cooker macaroni and cheese.
This version has sausage to make it hearty and delicious. It’s great as a meal on its own with a salad or vegetable on the side. If you’re craving comfort food, this easy mac and cheese in the crock pot is what to make.
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Crock Pot Mac and Cheese with Sausage
- Elbow macaroni
- Ground pork sausage
- Softened butter
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Whole milk
- Evaporated milk
- Canned condensed cheddar cheese soup
- Large eggs
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Mac and Cheese in a Crock Pot
Boil the pasta for a few minutes less than what’s listed on the package. It will be a little underdone, but it will finish cooking in the crock pot. Drain it and then transfer the pasta to the crock pot.
Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Once it’s cooked, drain off the excess fat and set the skillet aside.
Add the butter to the pasta and stir until it’s melted and evenly coating the macaroni. Add salt, pepper, and half of the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
Combine eggs with the condensed milk in a bowl, and then pour the mixture into the crockpot and stir. Add the cooked sausage and stir again.
Combine the cheese soup with the milk in a bowl. Once it’s smooth, pour it into the crock pot and stir to combine it with the other ingredients.
Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the pasta. Cook the mac and cheese on low for about three hours, occasionally stirring, so the mac and cheese doesn’t burn around the edges.
Sausage: For an Italian flavor, use Italian sausage. Or, you can use ground turkey sausage if you want something leaner. You can also leave the sausage out if you want plain mac and cheese.
Cheese: You can shred a block of cheddar cheese for this recipe or use bagged shredded cheese to make it easy.
Add other seasonings to change the flavor of the mac and cheese. Or, stir in some chopped fresh parsley before serving it.
Leftover crockpot mac and cheese with sausage will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The cheese sauce may not be as creamy when you warm it up, but adding a splash of milk will help.
We love this easy crock pot mac and cheese recipe – it really hits the spot when you’re craving a comforting pasta dinner. The combination of sausage and cheese is a great one – I hope you give it a try soon!
More Crockpot Recipes To Try
Crockpot Mac and Cheese with Sausage Recipe
- 16- ounce package elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 cube butter softened and cut into 4 smaller cubes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded (you can use packaged shredded cheddar if you want)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 5- ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 10.75 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 2 eggs beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook elbow macaroni per package instructions but remove from heat and drain a couple minutes early. It should be cooked but still firm. After draining, place in crockpot.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage. Break into small pieces and cook until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Add softened butter to pasta and stir until fully melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Add ½ of the cheddar cheese and stir into pasta
- Add condensed milk to the beaten eggs. Combine well. Add to pasta and stir into pasta. Next add sausage and stir into the pasta mixture.
- In a medium bowl combine cheese soup and whole milk until you have a smooth consistency. Add to pasta mixture and stir well. Add the rest of the cheese in an even layer over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Cook on low for 2.5 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally. Do not let the edges to get too brown or burnt. Serve.
Crockpot mac and cheese can be tricky, but with the right ingredients, you can make creamy, cheesy mac and cheese without a lot of work!