You only need four ingredients to make this cornbread with sausage! Use your favorite cornbread mix and give it an upgrade with savory pork sausage and cheese for a delicious pan of cornbread everyone will love.
I love to make cornbread because you can serve it for any meal. It’s great for breakfast with some scrambled eggs, a side dish for a salad at lunch, or serving it for dinner alongside soups and chilis or for holidays with ham and turkey.
If you’ve never made it, I have the best easy cornbread recipe for you. Instead of making it all from scratch, you can use your favorite cornbread mix and dress it up with sausage and cheese.
Cornbread and sausage is a great flavor combination – it bakes up soft, tender, and savory.
For this recipe, you only need four ingredients, a skillet and a baking pan. Pulling a pan of fresh-baked cornbread out of the oven is a treat – I think you will love this recipe.
Table of Contents
Sausage Cornbread Ingredients
- Cornbread mix – pick your favorite brand. We love Marie Calendars.
- Ground pork sausage
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Non-stick cooking spray
How to Make Cornbread and Sausage
Prepare an 8x8x2″ baking pan by lining it with foil and lightly coat it with cooking spray.
Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Break it apart as it cooks, so you end up with small pieces. Once the sausage is cooked, after about five to seven minutes, drain the excess liquid and set the skillet off the heat so the sausage can cool.
Prepare the cornbread batter by following the instructions on the package. Add the cooked sausage and shredded cheese to the batter and stir to combine.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake the cornbread for 25 to 30 minutes. You can check the center with a toothpick – it should come out clean.
Cool the bread for five to ten minutes before slicing and serving it.
Is cornbread gluten-free?
Not necessarily. Many recipes and cornbread mixes (including the one we like, Marie Calendar’s mix) have wheat flour included in the ingredients. It’s often added because the gluten in the flour helps hold the cornbread together. So, unless it says it is gluten-free on the package, be sure to check the ingredients.
How do you make cornbread moist?
First, don’t over mix the batter – just mix it long enough to absorb all of the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
Second, don’t overbake it. As soon as the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done baking. If you overbake it, the cornbread will dry out.
How long does cornbread and sausage keep?
It will keep well for a couple of days at room temperature. Just keep it tightly wrapped. Or, you can store it in the refrigerator for a few days longer.
You can also freeze it. Fully cool it and then tightly wrap it and store it in a freezer-safe container. It will keep well for two to three months. Just let it thaw at room temperature before serving it.
This recipe is so easy you can make a batch of delicious cornbread whenever you crave it. The combination of pork sausage and cheese is so good – it won’t last long when you make it!
Other Side Dishes You’ll Enjoy
Sausage Cornbread Recipe
- 1 16 ounce package of cornbread mix we preferred Marie Calendars
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line an 8x8x2 baking pan with aluminum foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until it is no longer pink. Break it into small pieces as it cooks. About 5-7 minutes. Drain excess liquid and set the side to cool.
- Follow directions on the cornbread mix package and combine ingredients. With Marie Calendar it was 1 ½ cups of water with the mix. Once mixed add in the sausage and cheese and mix fully.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until you poke it with a toothpick, and it comes out clean. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve
Sausage Cornbread is a great flavor combination – it bakes up soft, tender, and savory. For this recipe, you only need four ingredients, a skillet and a baking pan.