This Pretzel Bites recipe is an easy snack that you can make in your air fryer. The pretzels are made with refrigerated pizza dough and dunked in water and baking soda before going into the air fryer. They taste like homemade pretzel bites but are so much easier.
One of my favorite snacks to make for game day or parties are these air fryer pretzel bites. They taste like classic soft pretzels, but they’re so easy to make.
I use refrigerated pizza dough to make them which cuts down the work. There never seems to be enough time to make homemade dough, so using premade dough means we can make them more often.
So, they are semi-homemade but taste amazing. The key to getting that traditional pretzel crust and flavor is the baking soda bath. If you’ve never tried making them, don’t worry. This recipe is so easy – you’re going to love it.
- Large egg
- Pillsbury Pizza Dough
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
How to Make Pretzel Bites in an Air Fryer
Whisk the egg and one tablespoon of water in a small bowl. This is the egg wash you will brush on the pretzels before you air fry them. It helps them turn golden brown as they cook. Once you’ve mixed it, set the bowl aside.
Take the pizza dough out of the package but don’t unroll it. Instead, cut the roll into eight even-sized pieces. They should be about 1” thick.
Cut each dough piece into quarters, so you have 32 pieces. Roll each of them into a ball and pinch the seams together, so they hold the shape.
Bring four cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Once it’s at a rolling boil, take the pan off the heat and add the baking soda. Place the dough balls in the hot water for 20 to 30 seconds. Do this in batches and then fish them out with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate or cutting board.
Brush the balls with the egg wash and sprinkle some salt on them.
Place the pretzel bites in the air fryer in a single layer with space between them. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches.
Cook them at 350°F for five to seven minutes. Check on them early and once they are golden brown, take them out of the air fryer. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
What to Serve with Pretzel Bites
These air fryer pretzel bites are so delicious when they are hot and crispy. The only thing that makes them even better is a dipping sauce to go on the side. Here are some ideas:
- Make your own honey mustard by mixing brown mustard with honey. Or buy a jar to make it easy!
- Warm marinara sauce is delicious, too.
- Pretzels and beer cheese dip is a classic combination.
- Or, for a Mexican twist, serve them with a bowl of warm queso.
- You can’t go wrong with a bowl of ranch dip on the side.
Can you use homemade pretzel dough for this recipe?
Yes, but the air fryer cooking time may differ depending on how big you cut your pretzel bites.
I don’t have an air fryer. Can you bake pretzel bites?
I haven’t tested these in the oven, but it should work fine. Bake them at 350°F on a baking sheet until they are golden brown. They may take a little longer to bake than air fry, so keep an eye on them.
Do you have to do the baking soda bath?
Yes, it is an important step. The baking soda bath flavors the pretzel bites and also gives them that chewy pretzel crust. The bites will taste like regular pizza dough and won’t have the right texture if you skip it. Give these air fryer pretzel bites a try the next time you want a great party, holiday, or game-day snack. I hope you enjoy them!
More Recipes to Make in Your Air Fryer
Air Fryer Pretzel Bites Recipe
- 1 Pillsbury Pizza Crust
- ½ cup baking soda
- 4 cups water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- In a small bowl whisk egg and one tablespoon of water together. Set aside
- Open pizza crust but do not unroll it. Cut it into 8 slices, about one inch thick. Then cut each slice into quarters. You will now have 32 pieces. Roll each into a ball using your hands. Lightly pinch them together so they stay somewhat in the shape of a ball. They do not have to be perfect.
- Pour 4 cups of water into a saucepan and bring to a full boil. Then remove from heat and add ½ cup of baking soda. It will fizz up. Leave on stove top (no heat) or place on a hot pad. Dunk each of the balls in the water with baking soda for 20 to 30 seconds (I do about 4 at a time). Place balls on a cutting board or plate and use a pastry brush to cover each ball with egg wash. Sprinkle each ball with the Kosher salt.
- Add balls into the air fryer. You want an even layer and you don’t want them touching. Depending on the size of your air fryer it could be a few batches. Cook at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes. Check after 4 or 5 minutes. They should be golden brown. Serve.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. I just took some brown mustard and stirred in some honey. Quick and easy.
Air Fryer Pretzel Bites are so easy to make and are a perfect snack or appetizer! Semi-homemade and perfect alongside honey mustard dipping sauce.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.