Learn how to make easy breakfast burritos with eggs, sausage, veggies, and cheese. This is a great weekend breakfast recipe when you’re craving something hearty to start the day.
Breakfast burritos are always a favorite at our house, and my recipe is really simple. It’s so easy you can make this breakfast recipe during the week if you have a little bit of time!
There are many ways to make a breakfast burrito, and I like to keep it simple. Some breakfast sausage, egg whites, a few fresh veggies, and cheese combine to make a delicious burrito. The nice thing is, you can easily adapt it based on what you have on hand.
There’s something great about a meal wrapped up in a flour tortilla, and these breakfast burritos are one of my favorites. It’s always a winner with the family.
- Ground breakfast sausage
- Diced onion
- Diced bell pepper
- 5 large egg white (or whole eggs)
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Flour tortilla
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Breakfast Burritos
Cook the sausage in a pan and then drain the fat. Add the onion and peppers, and stir. Cook the sausage and vegetables until the veggies are tender.
Add the egg whites and Italian seasoning. Stir to scramble the eggs with the other ingredients. Once the eggs are cooked, add salt and pepper.
Divide the sausage and egg mixture among the flour tortillas and roll them into burritos.
Place the breakfast burritos on a prepared baking sheet and bake them for about five minutes. Flip them over and bake them for five minutes more or until golden brown.
What do you put in a breakfast burrito?
There are countless ways to make breakfast burritos. Typically, they are made with eggs, cheese, and some kind of breakfast meat or vegetables for a vegetarian version. Here are a few ways you can adapt this breakfast burrito recipe depending on what you like:
- Instead of breakfast sausage, try Mexican chorizo, diced ham, or fry some bacon to go in the burritos.
- You can swap the bell peppers for other kinds of mild peppers like poblanos. Or dice up a jalapeno pepper if you like some heat.
- I like to make egg white burritos, but you can use the whole egg. It’s a good idea to beat the eggs first before adding them to the pan.
- Italian seasoning can be swapped for taco seasoning, chili seasoning, or other seasoning mixes that you like.
- We love cheddar cheese, but any good melting cheese will work in these burritos!
How long do they keep?
You can store homemade breakfast burritos in the refrigerator for three to four days. I recommend wrapping the burrito in a paper towel before reheating in the microwave. This will keep the tortilla from getting too chewy.
Technically, you can freeze breakfast burritos, too, but they don’t always reheat well. If you try this, don’t microwave them frozen. Instead, allow them to thaw before reheating. A warm breakfast burrito is always a great breakfast, and with this recipe, you can make them during the week or for the weekend. Either way, I hope you give them a try soon – Enjoy!
More Easy Breakfast Options
Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- ½ medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ½ cup egg whites or 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and break into small pieces while cooking. Cook until no pink remains, and sausage is cooked through. Carefully drain fat.
- Add onion and bell pepper to the sausage and cook until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes
- Add egg whites (or beaten eggs) and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are completely cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Lay out flour tortillas. Divide sausage egg mixture between the tortillas and top with 1-2 tablespoons of cheese each. Roll as desired.
- Place burritos on cookie sheet. If they don’t want to stay rolled, use a toothpick to hold them together.
- Bake about 5-8 minutes, then flip to the other side and bake an additional 5-8 minutes, or until golden on both sides. Serve hot.
Breakfast Burritos are a great weekend breakfast recipe when you’re craving something hearty to start the day.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.