Broccoli Breakfast Casserole is a great breakfast recipe for breakfast or brunch. It’s a light egg casserole made with fresh broccoli florets, seasonings, low-fat cheese, and non-dairy milk that’s easy to make.
Breakfast casseroles are great when you’re serving a crowd for breakfast or brunch, especially during the holidays. The only problem is that some recipes are so heavy with cheese and cream they end up being so unhealthy you feel like you can only make them once in a while. So, I came up with this broccoli and egg casserole recipe. It’s filling and satisfying but lightened up.
Why We Love this Breakfast Casserole Recipe
There’s no meat in this recipe, but it’s really satisfying. Eggs have lots of protein, and some broccoli florets and bell peppers add color, texture, and flavor.
Instead of using whole milk or heavy cream, I combine the eggs with unsweetened almond milk. Almond milk has a mild flavor, so it works well as a non-dairy milk substitute without changing the taste of the casserole.
I can’t imagine an egg casserole without cheese, so I use reduced-fat cheddar cheese. It adds flavor and cheesiness without tipping the scales on the calories.
You can make this casserole the morning you want to serve it, or I’m sharing some tips for preparing parts of it ahead to make it even easier.
We like to serve this casserole with roasted potatoes, but it pairs with all kinds of breakfast side dishes.
Table of Contents
- Broccoli florets
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Chopped bell pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
Place the florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Add three tablespoons of water and then microwave them for two to four minutes or until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain off the water.
Coat a skillet with cooking spray and heat it over medium heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and sauté it until softened for about four to six minutes.
Combine the eggs with almond milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
Place the broccoli and sauteed bell pepper in the bottom of a prepared 9×13” baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and then pour the egg mixture into the pan.
Bake the broccoli egg cheese casserole at 375°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until the center is set. It’s ready when the center no longer jiggles when you lightly shake the pan.
You can cook the vegetables a day in advance. This makes it easy to assemble the dish the following day. First, cook them as instructed, and then store them in a container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the casserole.
What other vegetables can you use?
We’ve made this recipe with asparagus instead of broccoli, and it works well. Cooked mushrooms, spinach, and other kinds of peppers would be delicious, too.
Can you add meat?
Crumbled breakfast sausage and bacon would work well in this dish. Just make sure to cook them before adding them.
What kind of cheese is good in a breakfast casserole?
We like cheddar cheese, but any shredded cheese will work like Monterey Jack, Gruyere, provolone, or mozzarella. Parmesan cheese would also work well. We like reduced-fat cheese, but you can use full-fat if you prefer.
What can you use instead of almond milk?
If you don’t like almond milk, you can try other types of non-dairy milk, but choose one that is unsweetened and with a mild flavor. Dairy milk works, too, like 2% milk. Or, for a richer flavor, try half and half.
How long does it keep?
Leftover broccoli breakfast casserole will keep for two to three days in the refrigerator.
This is a great breakfast dish for any day, but especially when you’re hosting friends and family for holiday brunches or breakfasts. The flavors are delicious, and it won’t leave you in a food coma for the rest of the day. I hope you give it a try!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Broccoli Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 9 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste about ¼ teaspoon each and add from there
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese grated
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Preheat cooking spray in a small skillet to medium heat. While the skillet is heating up put broccoli in a large microwave safe dish with about 3 tablespoons of water. Microwave 2-4 minutes until it becomes a little bit tender. Meanwhile add bell pepper to heated skillet and cook for 4-6 minutes or until it softens. Drain broccoli of any excess liquid.
- In a medium mixing bowl add eggs, almond milk, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well until you have a smooth consistency.
- Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add broccoli and pepper on the bottom. The sprinkle the cheese over the broccoli and pepper. Then add the egg mixture on top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the center is cooked through and not watery. It should set so it doesn’t jiggle.
- We tried to keep this a little lighter and healthier, but you can add your favorite cheese and more cheese than we did here.
- Other vegetables work in this dish as well. Asparagus is a good choice to try.
This Broccoli Breakfast Casserole is easy and healthy! It’s the perfect dish to take to brunch or feed the whole family for breakfast.
I didn’t have broccoli but made it with zucchini. It was delicious. Sorry I forgot to take a picture.