These EASY Beignets start with biscuit or pizza dough! They have only 3 ingredients and are the perfect copycat disneyland recipe!
Regardless of if you make them Mickey-shaped, making beignets at home can be an easy and delicious thing to do!
Did you know you can get beignets in Disneyland? And that they’re shaped like Mickey Mouse? AND that they have special flavors for each season?
I’ve been going to Disney all my life and never knew about the beignets until last summer; it’s like 40 years of Disney eating wasted.
After that first time I made them I thought…I wonder how you make beignets at home? When I looked up some recipes I realized that making them from scratch, while not hard, wasn’t as easy as I wanted to go. Then I wondered…can you make beignets out of pizza or biscuit dough? Spoiler alert: you can!
You can make beignets out of pizza dough or biscuit dough and it’s easy!
I recommend using pizza dough because it’s a bit lighter than biscuit dough. Biscuit dough will yield a more doughnut-like consistency, where beignets are usually light and fluffy. Using pizza dough is a good middle ground.
Making homemade beignets can be daunting because the dough isn’t a normal quick-mix recipe and then there is all the frying. Frying alone can be daunting for some, but I’ve taken the hard work out of it by skipping the make-your-own-dough step.
To make easy beignets, you just have to buy a refrigerated pizza dough. That’s it!
Because I was making myself feel in the Disney mood, I made my easy beignets Mickey Mouse shaped, but you can also just cut them into squares. I used a cookie cutter I picked up at Disneyland, but you can find Mickey Mouse cookie cutters on amazon too.
Simply cut out your dough in the desired shapes and then fry them in oil. Once they’re cooked, dust them with powdered sugar and serve them nice and hot, just like the beignets at Café Du Monde or the one in New Orleans Square.
How to fry beignets:
- Get a candy thermometer or instant read thermometer before you start. Make sure your oil is at the correct temperature and play with the heat on the burner so it stays there. Oil that is too cold will soak in to the dough, making it greasy. Oil that is too hot will cook the outside and leave the inside raw.
- Have your work area all ready: cut the beignets and line cookie sheets with paper towels for after they cook. Paper towels soak up extra oil.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately and serve hot. These aren’t as good cold.
We absolutely LOVE all things Disney. Be sure to check out some other copycat recipes, like these Peanut Butter Sandwich Bars and some of the other things you MUST eat in Disneyland! (Oh, and these Dole Whips with Rum aren’t bad either!)
These EASY Beignets start with biscuit dough! They have only 3 ingredients and are the perfect copycat disneyland recipe!
- 1 tube or one recipe regular or thin crust pizza dough (or use biscuit dough)
- 24 ounces vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Using a 3-4 quart sauce pan, add oil so that it’s about 2” up the pan (about 24 ounces). Heat oil to 350°F.
- While the oil is heating, slice or cut pizza dough into desired shapes (using a knife or cookie cutters).
- Add the beignets, one at a time depending on size, and fry until they’re golden brown on each side, flipping halfway though cooking. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and eat warm. These are best eaten immediately.
Looking for other fun ideas? Check out my Piñata Cupcakes!
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Dorothy is the blogger behind EasyGoodIdeas.com and CrazyforCrust.com. She loves creating recipes that are sometimes savory, often sweet, and always served with a slice of her life.