This easy Pizza Twist Recipe is a great snack for parties or make it for an easy dinner. Pizza dough is layered with toppings and then sliced on the side to make twists that are fun and easy to eat. Make it a pepperoni twisted pizza, or customize it with your favorite pizza toppings!
When it comes to pizza, the only thing better than a pizza pie is this easy pizza twist. It takes a classic pepperoni pizza and rearranges it to make a pizza dish that’s part pie, part calzone, and part pull-apart bread.
What I love about it is that it’s doubled up on the golden pizza crust. The bottom crust is topped with sauce and cheese, and then another crust is layered on top. Add some pepperoni, twist the sides, and you get a fun variation on pizza that’s great for sharing.
You can slice it, but it’s more fun to pull off the twists. Add some dipping sauces on the side for a fun party appetizer, or add a salad to make it dinner. Either way, it’s delicious.
- Refrigerated pizza dough
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices
- Melted unsalted butter
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
How to Make Pizza Twist
Divide the pizza dough in half and place one half on a large piece of parchment paper.
Roll the dough out to approximately 10x15”. Lift the parchment paper with the dough and place it on a baking sheet. Spread the sauce over the dough and sprinkle the cheese on top.
Place the other half of the dough on a large sheet of parchment. Roll it out to 10x15” and then place it on the other rolled-out dough with the sauce and cheese.
Slice 1” strips up and down both sides of the pizza doughs. Don’t slice all the way across - leave a strip in the center. Twist the strips you cut one to two times.
Combine the melted butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on top of the pizza. Place the pepperoni on top in a single layer.
Bake the twisted pizza for 12 to 18 minutes at 400°F or until the crust is golden brown.
Other Toppings for Pizza Twist
You can switch the toppings for your own twist on this pizza twist recipe. Just don’t overload the pizza with too many toppings, so it’s still easy to make.
Supreme: Add some diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and olives inside the pizza twist, along with sauce and cheese. Add the pepperoni or salami on top!
Meat Lovers: Add some crumbled cooked Italian sausage, bacon, and sliced pepperoni inside the crust.
Cheese Pizza Twist: Omit the meat and double up on the cheese. Pair mozzarella with some shredded provolone and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top before you bake it.
Other Variations: Any toppings you like should work but cook raw meat first and use veggies that cook fast (or sauté them first).
- Store-bought pizza dough makes this recipe easy, but you can also use homemade dough.
- You can add more pizza sauce on the inside if you want it saucier.
- Add dipping sauces on the side like ranch, garlic butter, or Italian dressing.
Give this easy twisted pizza a try the next time you’re craving pizza. It’s cheaper than delivery and fun to eat, too. Enjoy!
Other Non Traditional Pizza Recipes to Try
Pizza Twist Recipe
- 1 can 13.8 ounces pizza dough
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce or a little more if you like it saucier
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup pepperoni you can add more if you want
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Divide pizza crust in half. Place half on a sheet of parchment paper and roll to approximately 10x15-inches. Place crust (on parchment) on a large cookie sheet.
- Spread with pizza sauce and top with cheese.
- Place second half of pizza dough on another sheet of parchment paper and roll to approximately 10x15-inches. Place this dough on top of prepared pizza.
- Slice 1-inch strips up and down both sides of the crust, leaving a small strip in the middle. Twist the strips 1-2 times.
- Stir melted butter with garlic and seasoning and brush all over crust. Top with pepperoni.
- Bake 12-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
- May substitute salted butter.
- You can serve with a dipping sauce like ranch dressing.
- You can use your other favorite pizza toppings. You can put toppings inside if you want as well.
We love this Pizza Twist - add some dipping sauces on the side for a fun party appetizer, or add a salad to make it dinner!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.