This Cajun Shrimp recipe is an easy dinner that is light and delicious with fresh bell peppers, juicy shrimp, and Cajun seasonings. Serve it as is or pair the shrimp and peppers with rice, pasta, or toasted bread for a great meal.
If you’re looking for easy shrimp recipes, this Cajun shrimp dish is definitely one to try.It has delicious Cajun flavors with fresh peppers, onions, garlic, and juicy shrimp. I love how easy it is to make – it’s great for weeknights or anytime you need a quick dinner that tastes great.
Cooking Cajun shrimp is not hard at all. You will need some fresh or frozen shrimp, a handful of pantry seasonings, and a few fresh vegetables to pull it all together. If you like smoky flavor with a bit of spice, you will really enjoy it.
- Smoked paprika
- Dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Chili powder
- Ground black pepper
- Peeled and deveined shrimp
- Olive oil
- Chopped bell peppers – I like the sweeter yellow or red bell peppers.
- Chopped yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
How to Make Cajun Shrimp
Combine the seasonings in a small bowl.
Place the shrimp in a bowl and sprinkle half of the seasoning mixture over the top. Save the rest of the mix for later. Toss the shrimp to coat them evenly in the spices.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook them until they are softened. Add the garlic and cook it until it’s fragrant about one minute. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and placed them in a bowl.
Heat more olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook them in the oil for about two minutes. Turn them and cook them for two more minutes or until they are pink and opaque.
Add pepper and onion mixture back into the skillet and stir to combine everything.
Cook the Cajun shrimp for about a minute to heat everything through. Garnish with parsley and serve with the lemon wedges on the side.
- If you use frozen shrimp, you will need to thaw them first. You can leave them in the refrigerator to thaw or thaw them in cold water for 30 minutes. It’s a good idea to pat them dry once they are thawed.
- You can serve Cajun shrimp with the peppers as a light meal or serve them over rice for a more filling meal.
- You can also toss the seasoned shrimp and vegetables with cooked pasta or just add some toasted garlic bread on the side.
- Leftover Cajun shrimp will keep for two days in the refrigerator.
If you’ve ever wondered how to cook Cajun shrimp, I think you’ll find that it’s really easy. You might already have a lot of the seasonings in your spice cabinet, so be sure to check. Give this easy dinner a try, and let me know what you think!
More Easy Dinner Recipes You'll Enjoy
Cajun Shrimp Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds frozen shrimp peeled (tails off), deveined, thawed
- 2 bell peppers yellow or red, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ parsley chopped
- ½ lemon chopped into 4 wedges
- In a small bowl combine paprika, oregano, salt, chili powder and pepper. Place shrimp in a large bowl, add ½ of the spice mixture and combine well. Set aside
- In a large skillet heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook until softened, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or baking sheet.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp. Cook about 2 minutes, then turn shrimp over. Cook another 2 minutes or until shrimp is opaque in the center. Add pepper mixture back into the skillet and heat through for about a minute. Serve with parsley and lemon.
Cajun Shrimp is one of my favorite meals! It has juicy shrimp, fresh bell peppers, onions and goes great with rice or pasta!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.