Learn how to make curry shrimp that is full of flavor. This is an easy shrimp curry recipe that you can make in less than 30 minutes. The sauce is made with curry powder, onions, tomatoes, and coconut milk and is served over rice for a great dinner.
For a long time, I was intimidated to make curry dishes at home and instead ordered out whenever I was in the mood for curry. Then I learned how to make curry shrimp, and I realized how easy it actually is. It’s actually a quick and easy meal that is not at all complicated to make.
What is curry shrimp?
Curry shrimp is a type of dish popular in southeast Asia. It’s shrimp in a curry sauce flavored with a variety of spices, including turmeric, chili powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, and pepper. It can be hot or mild, depending on how spicy the curry powder is.
The spiciness of the dish is offset by coconut milk which is the base of the sauce. The combination of flavors is delicious and perfect with shrimp.
The type of curry powder you use will make a big difference in the sauce. You can buy curry powder at the store, or you can make your own homemade curry powder. It’s not hard to do and a great way to control the level of heat and flavors in your curry.
My curry shrimp recipe is really easy. I like to use precooked shrimp to make it a quick recipe. The whole thing is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
- Olive oil
- Finely chopped yellow onion
- Curry powder
- Minced ginger
- Minced garlic
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Canned coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked shrimp that is peeled and deveined – I use frozen cooked shrimp and let them thaw.
- Chopped fresh cilantro
How to Cook Curry Shrimp
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook them for four to six minutes or until they are soft. Remove the pan from the heat so it can cool down and adjust the heat to low.
Once the skillet has cooled down, place it back over the low burner. Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and stir to combine. Stir in the salt and pepper, and then cover the skillet for ten minutes. Stir the sauce occasionally as it simmers.
Add the shrimp and cilantro. Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes or until the shrimp are warmed through.
I like to serve this coconut curry shrimp over cooked rice. You can also garnish it with some chopped cilantro for serving.
I think this dish is best the day it’s made. It will keep in the refrigerator for a day or two, but the shrimp might turn a little rubbery when you reheat them.
Whether you make your homemade curry powder or buy it premade, this dish is a great one to make when there’s not a lot of time to cook. I keep the ingredients on hand, so it’s easy to pull together. I hope you enjoy it, too!
Other 30 Minute Meals You'll Enjoy
Curry Shrimp Recipe
- 2 pounds frozen shrimp cooked and peeled (remove tail)
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 4 teaspoons curry powder LINK to EGI curry powder recipe
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until they soften and become translucent. 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and allow skillet to cool for a few minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add curry powder, ginger and garlic and stir in with onion. Add tomatoes and coconut milk to skillet and stir well. Add salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cilantro to the skillet. Let heat for 1-2 minutes. Serve!
This Curry Shrimp recipe is really easy and the whole dish is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.