These Shrimp Tacos are full of fresh flavors and so easy to make. The seasoned shrimp are paired with a creamy lime sauce and other toppings for a light and fresh dinner.
We usually have taco night once a week, and these easy shrimp tacos are always a favorite. If you’re looking for a way to switch things up, they are a great option!
They’re lighter than beef tacos, and the combination of shrimp, avocado, and cabbage with the lime sauce is delicious. Plus, they’re not hard to make -shrimp cook fast, so you can easily make these on a weeknight.
The Best Shrimp Taco Recipe
For me, the best shrimp tacos have a variety of flavors and textures – you definitely get that with this recipe. There are basically three parts to this recipe:
- The seasoned shrimp
- The easy shrimp taco sauce
- The toppings like avocado, cabbage, and cilantro
You get some crunch from the cabbage, the fresh flavor from the avocado, and creaminess from the sauce. All together they are delicious!
How to Make Seasoned Shrimp for Tacos
The shrimp are easy to prepare and cook, and you only need two ingredients – shrimp and taco seasoning.
For this recipe, you will need one pound of shrimp. I like to use frozen easy to peel shrimp, but you can use fresh ones. If you do, you will need to peel and devein them.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While it’s heating, season the shrimp on both sides with the taco seasoning.
Place the shrimp in the hot skillet in a single layer. Cook them for two minutes and then flip them over and cook them for two minutes more.
The shrimp are done when they are opaque and pink and white.
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
Once you have your cooked shrimp, you can make the tacos. First, I like to make the shrimp taco sauce, a cool and creamy lime sauce, which is very easy to make. You only need to mix up a few ingredients:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- Minced garlic
- Lime juice
- Hot sauce
Warm up your tortillas either in the microwave or on the stove. To assemble the tacos, here’s the order I like to follow:
- Place some shredded cabbage on the tortilla
- Top it with some shrimp – usually, two to three is a good amount
- Sprinkle some feta cheese and diced avocado on top
- Drizzle the lime sauce over the top
- Add some chopped cilantro for garnish
Seasoning: If you don’t have taco seasoning on hand, you can substitute fajita seasoning or even chili seasoning.
Shrimp: These are shrimp tacos, but the flavors will work with chicken, too. Season chicken breasts with taco seasoning, cook them in a skillet and then shred or chop them for the tacos.
Toppings: You can swap the cabbage for lettuce like romaine or iceberg. Instead of diced avocado, you could add a dollop of guacamole instead. Sometimes we use Cotija cheese, a Mexican-style crumbling cheese, instead of feta. It has a similar texture and flavor. If you’ve been looking for new taco recipes to try, these are definitely the best shrimp tacos I’ve ever made. The flavors are light and fresh, and they don’t take forever to make. They’re a great weeknight dinner!
More Easy Dinners You'll Enjoy
Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- 6-8 small tortillas
- 1 pound frozen easy to peel shrimp. You can use fresh if you want but peel and devein them.
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 10 oz bag of shredded cabbage
- Feta cheese topping
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
Lime Sauce for the Tacos
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt plain
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ of a small lime juiced
- Splash of hot sauce – we used Tapatio but use your favorite
- Using a medium sized bowl, mix yogurt, sour cream, garlic, lime juice and hot sauce.
- Season the shrimp on both sides with taco seasoning
- Use a large skillet and add oil. Pre-heat to medium high temperature. Add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Shrimp flesh should be slightly opaque and a little white in color
- Warm the tortilla’s in a microwave or on the stove top.
- To assemble the taco put a layer of cabbage on the bottom. Then add 2 or 3 shrimp. Put avocado and feta cheese on top. Then add the lime sauce. Serve!
These Shrimp Tacos have a variety of flavors and textures – which is why they are our favorite taco recipe. Easy to make, light and a great way to switch things up in the kitchen for taco night.