This chicken tortilla soup recipe is very easy to make with mostly pantry ingredients. Black beans, corn, shredded chicken, green chiles, and tomatoes are simmered to make a delicious soup with Mexican flavors. Add crispy tortilla strips for serving, and you get a comforting bowl of soup that’s easy enough for weeknight dinners.
Chicken soup is always a comforting meal, and this homemade chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite easy recipes.
It’s a great pantry dinner, and we usually keep the ingredients on hand, so it’s easy to make. Using rotisserie chicken makes it even easier – there’s not much prep work, and the soup is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
You can keep it simple and top it with tortilla strips or add your favorite garnishes to make it more filling. It’s easy to switch up and always a delicious soup to make.
Table of Contents
- Shredded cooked chicken – we like to use rotisserie chicken. Or, you can use leftover cooked chicken or shredded turkey.
- Chicken broth – depending on how salty the broth is, you may need to add more or less salt to the soup.
- Canned black beans – you can also use pinto beans.
- Canned corn
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chile – Rotel is the brand we like.
- Salt and black pepper
- Tortilla strips for garnish
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Combine the broth, beans, corn, and tomatoes with green chiles in a large saucepan. Warm them over medium heat for seven to ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Simmer the soup for three to five minutes or until the chicken is hot.
Ladle the soup bowls and sprinkle the tortilla strips over the top for garnish.
More Garnish Ideas
You can add a lot of different toppings to this soup or keep it as simple as you like. Here are some ideas you might like:
- Instead of tortilla strips, add some crushed tortilla chips.
- Some chopped fresh cilantro or parsley adds freshness and color.
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds a bright flavor.
- If you want a spicy chicken tortilla soup, add your favorite hot sauce.
- You can also add a sprinkle of cheese like cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or crumbled cotija cheese.
- Diced avocado, sliced jalapeno peppers, green onions, or diced red onion are also good.
shredded or diced chicken broth or stock, chicken, and veggies like corn and veggies. Some variations also have beans, like this one. The star ingredient is tortillas – sometimes sliced corn tortillas are added to the soup, but many American versions use crispy tortilla chips as a garnish.
soup. It keeps well in the refrigerator for three to four days, or you can freeze it for several months.
You can serve it with extra garnishes like chopped herbs, avocado, sour cream, or other Mexican-style toppings you like.
The soup itself is pretty healthy and light. If you add a lot of toppings like sour cream or cheese, it will add more calories and fat.
If you’re craving a warm bowl of soup, it doesn’t get any easier than this chicken tortilla soup. The flavors are great, and it’s so simple you can make it for a busy weeknight when there’s not much time to cook. Enjoy!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- ¾ pound chicken breast shredded (we used Rotisserie Chicken)
- 1 32 ounce carton chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can corn, drained
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chili peppers, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla strips
- Add chicken broth, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes with green chiles to a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir and let heat for 7-10 minutes. Add chicken, salt and pepper. Let heat for another 3-5 minutes until chicken is hot.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips on top when serving.
- If you like more spice just add a little bit of your favorite hot sauce to the broth.
If you’re craving a warm bowl of soup, it doesn’t get any easier than this Chicken Tortilla Soup. The flavors are great, and it’s so simple you can make it for a busy weeknight when there’s not much time to cook.