Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup is a quick soup recipe made with shredded rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, and vegetables. It’s a great weeknight dinner that’s ready in about 30 minutes! Serve it with bread on the side to soak up all of the delicious broth.
When we want a comforting soup, we like to make this chicken and vegetable soup. It’s so easy, loaded with vegetables and chicken, and it’s freezer-friendly so that you can make it ahead.
To make it really easy, I like to use rotisserie chicken. This cuts the cooking time making it a great soup to make during the week. We love it with crusty bread or garlic bread on the side for dunking.
It’s easy enough to make during the week, but sometimes I make a batch on the weekend for meal prep. That way, it’s easy to heat up a bowl of soup for lunch or dinner when it’s busy.
- Chicken broth
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Sliced carrots
- Sliced celery
- Diced Yukon gold potatoes
- Broccoli florets
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Once it’s boiling, add the broccoli, potatoes, celery, and carrots. Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 14 to 18 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Add the chicken and stir. Add the salt and pepper and simmer the soup for two to four minutes or until the chicken is heated. Take the pot off the heat and let it cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
You can use other vegetables you like to make this soup. Green beans, spinach, kale, cauliflower, leeks, and cabbage are a few ideas you could try.
I like to use fresh vegetables, but you can also use frozen ones which won’t take as long to cook.
Different chicken broth brands have different sodium amounts, so don’t add salt without tasting the soup first. Add a little at a time if you think the soup needs it.
If you want to freeze chicken vegetable soup, allow it to cool to room temperature. Store it in freezer containers, and it will keep well in the freezer for several months.
You can also keep the soup in the refrigerator for up to four days. It’s a great way to meal prep lunches and dinners that are easy to heat up during busy weeks.
What to Serve It With
- It’s excellent with slices of toasted bread, garlic bread, or breadsticks.
- We also like to pair it with a tossed salad.
- You can also add garnishes for your soup like croutons, grated Parmesan cheese, and chopped fresh herbs like parsley or chives.
This chicken vegetable soup recipe is great to have on hand when the weather is cold and chilly. It will definitely warm you up! Give it a try – I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
More Comfort Meal Recipes You'll Enjoy
Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken shredded (we used rotisserie chicken skin removed)
- 4 medium carrots cut into bite sized rounds
- 2 celery stalks cut crosswise into ¼” slices
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups broccoli cut into bite sized florets
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pour broth into a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add Broccoli, potatoes, celery and carrots to the broth. Reduce heat medium low. Simmer for 14-18 minutes until vegetables soften and are tender. Add chicken and stir well. Add salt and pepper a let chicken heat up for 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit for a few minutes then serve!
• You can freeze leftovers so you can save them for a later date. You can keep it frozen for a few months.
Chicken Vegetable Soup is the perfect recipe to make when you’re needing something comforting, yet nutritious! It will warm you right up!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.