Easy homemade Cheesy Breadsticks are a fun appetizer or snack made with crescent rolls, cheese, and garlic butter. They are quick to make and can be served with different dips for a fun and cheesy bite for parties or game-day.
If you love the cheesy breadsticks you get with pizza delivery or at a restaurant, you will love this recipe. I love to make homemade breadsticks, and they taste just like the restaurant versions.
The best news is that they are easy to make. A can of crescent rolls, some cheese, and a simple garlic butter sauce are all you need to make a batch of warm, cheesy breadsticks.
- Canned crescent rolls
- Crushed garlic
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt
- Parsley for garnish
How to Make Cheesy Breadsticks
Unroll the crescent roll dough and place it on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Seal the perforations in the dough by pressing them together, so you have one rectangle of dough.
Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave. Once it’s melted, add the crushed garlic and stir.
To make the breadsticks, sprinkle both kinds of cheese on one half of the long side of the dough. Then, fold the other half of the dough over the cheese and pinch the edges together to seal the dough.
Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into breadsticks approximately 1” wide. You should be able to get ten breadsticks.
Brush the garlic butter on the breadsticks and bake them at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Let the cheesy breadsticks cool for a few minutes, and then garnish them with parsley. Serve them warm with a dipping sauce or all on their own.
It’s easy to change the flavor by switching the type of cheese you use. Any combination of these types of cheese would work well for these breadsticks:
- Parmesan cheese
- Asiago cheese
You can also change the flavor by adjusting the butter sauce. You can omit the garlic or add dried herbs like parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil. Or add a mix of herbs like Italian seasoning.
You can also add some red pepper flakes to the butter sauce if you want a kick of heat.
Dipping Sauce Ideas
There are several dipping sauces we like with homemade breadsticks. When we make them for parties, we like to add a few different choices. Here are some ideas:
- Pizza sauce
- Ranch dip
- Garlic butter
- Marinara sauce
Make Ahead Tips
This cheesy breadsticks recipe is easy to make, but if you want to save time and prep them ahead, you can. I wouldn’t make them more than a few hours in advance because the dough can dry out in the refrigerator.
Assemble the breadsticks and slice the dough. Leave them on the baking sheet and cover them tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the unbaked breadsticks until you are ready to bake them.
When you are ready to put them in the oven, make the garlic butter and brush it on top of the chilled breadsticks. Bake them at 400°F. You may need to add an extra minute or so to the baking time since they will be cold.
Main Dishes To Serve with Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks Recipe
- 1 can crescent rolls 8 ounce can
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese grated
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter cut into small pieces and melted
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Unroll crescent dough and place on the baking sheet. The dough will have perforations on it. Using your fingers, push the seams together to make a single sheet of dough. Remove as much of the perforation as possible but it is Ok to have a little showing
- Melt butter in microwave or stovetop slowly. Add garlic to the butter and stir well.
- The dough will make a rectangle. On one half of the long side add your cheese and mix the cheddar and Mozzarella together as you go. Fold the other half over the cheese and pinch together so it is sealed.
- Using a pizza cutter or a serrated knife, cut about halfway across. Do each about an inch apart. You should get about 10 strips.
- Brush the garlic butter all over the breadsticks. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let sit for a few minutes, garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite dip or all by themselves.
- Get creative with the cheese. Choose your favorite flavors.
- If you want, just use plain butter and no garlic or add other flavors you like to the butter.
These Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks are quick to make and can be served with all different types of dips for a fun and cheesy bite for parties or game-day.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.