A classic dinner transforms into an easy soup recipe – Stuffed Pepper Soup. This soup has ground beef, rice, seasonings, and chopped bell peppers. It has all of the flavors of the original dish but as an easy-to-make soup.
Stuffed peppers are a classic dish, but sometimes it’s fun to switch things up and use the same ingredients to make something new. Stuffed pepper soup has all of the same flavors and is a great way to put a spin on an old favorite.
Table of Contents
The Best Stuffed Pepper Soup
- This is an easy recipe with mostly pantry ingredients plus a few fresh ones.
- Like regular stuffed peppers, the soup has rice and ground beef, but you could substitute ground turkey.
- The soup has lots of veggies like crushed tomatoes, corn, onion, and garlic in addition to bell peppers.
- I like to top each serving with melted cheddar cheese.
If you’re craving a hearty soup, this pepper soup recipe is a great one to try. Add some bread on the side to soak up all the broth.
- Chopped bell peppers – we like red and yellow ones, but choose your favorite or do a mix.
- Ground beef
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Dried thyme, oregano, and sage
- Frozen corn
- Grated cheddar cheese
- White rice
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once it’s hot, brown the beef and then drain off the excess liquid in the pan.
Add the peppers and onion and cook them with the beef until they are softened. Add the tomatoes, garlic, dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Simmer the soup on low for 30 to 40 minutes.
While the soup simmers, cook the rice following the package instructions. After the soup has simmered, add the cooked rice and corn and stir to combine. Simmer for five more minutes.
To serve, top each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese.
This is a great soup to make ahead to keep in the refrigerator, or you can freeze it. Here are some tips:
- Leave the rice out if you are making it ahead. Rice will soak up the broth when refrigerated, so it’s better to add it when you heat the soup. If you have leftovers, they will keep with the rice, but you will need to add more broth when you warm it up.
- To freeze the soup, make it as instructed but leave out the rice. Cool the soup and then store it in freezer-safe containers. When you reheat it, cook a fresh batch of rice and add it to the soup.
Peppers: Green bell peppers are more bitter than yellow, red, and orange ones. We prefer sweeter peppers, but add a green one if you like the flavor.
Meat: You can make a leaner soup with ground turkey, or for a different flavor, try using ground pork or mild or spicy Italian sausage. Just make sure to drain off the excess fat once it’s cooked, so your soup isn’t greasy.
Rice: White or brown rice is great. You could also use wild rice in this soup, but it takes longer to cook.
Fresh herbs: Try adding chopped parsley or basil after the soup has simmered to add a fresh flavor. If you’re a fan of stuffed bell peppers, I hope you give this easy stuffed pepper soup recipe a try. It’s an easy way to put a spin on a favorite dish.
More Spin on Favorites You’ll Enjoy
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- 2 Bell Peppers we used one red and one yellow
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 29 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Brown ground beef and then drain excess liquid. Add peppers and onion. Cook until onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, sage, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Turn temp to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes until peppers have softened.
- In a saucepan or rice cooker add rice and follow instructions on rice box. Once rice is tender add it and the corn, stirring well, about 5 minutes before taking the soup off heat. Serve!
A classic dinner turned into comforting soup! This Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe has ground beef, rice, seasonings and chopped bell peppers.