These Swirl Cupcakes are the perfect 4th of July Cupcake! Swirled frosting dresses up a plain vanilla cupcake so easily, the perfect patriotic dessert for the fourth!
This cupcake would be so fun to make with any colors, but I love patriotic red and blue best.
The Fourth of July is such a fun day – it’s America’s birthday! And how better to celebrate America than with cupcakes?
Patriotic cupcakes are such a fun dessert for a 4th of July party. During summer parties and BBQs it’s easiest to serve things that don’t need cutting or slicing. Cupcakes are the perfect option for that!
When I think of traditional 4th of July foods, I think about apple pie, fluff, watermelon, and punch, along with hot dogs and grilled pizza. We usually set up a huge party area for food and drinks and then people just grab and go and cupcakes are perfect for that.
If you’re looking for a fun red, white, and blue cupcake recipe, I’ve got you covered. Between these Swirled 4th of July Cupcakes and Fireworks Cupcakes there is a cupcake for everyone. And don’t forget about this Funfetti Flag Cake, which would be a great addition to a party too.
The key to making these cupcakes is the swirled frosting. Making a swirl frosting is easy and can dress up even the most basic cupcakes. You can use your favorite cupcake recipe, but if you want to use a box mix or even buy store-bought cupcakes, no one will be the wiser once they see the frosting.
4th of July Cupcakes are easy to make with red and blue swirled frosting!
These would even be cute topped with red, white, and blue sprinkles! I love using the little flag cupcake toppers I found at the party store, or you an even top them with berries.
So, how do you make a swirled cupcake?
It’s so easy to do!
You just need a few tools to swirl frosting:
- A pastry bag (disposable is fine)
- Plastic wrap
- Vanilla frosting
- Your favorite frosting tip (a 1M tip design is pretty)
- Red and Blue gel food coloring
You cane see the video below for how I make the frosting swirled, but it’s really simple and almost mess free.
To create a swirled frosting effect using a pastry bag:
- Color your frosting desired colors. This would be a fun cupcake for any holiday or birthday!
- Use gel food coloring for best results.
- Wrap each color separately in a square of plastic wrap, twisting the ends.
- Cut off one twisted end of each color and add them to your pastry bag (together).
- Swirl the frosting!
I think it would be so fun to combine the fireworks cupcakes and these swirled one for an explosion 4th of July cupcake recipe, don’t you?
4th of July Cupcake
- 24 vanilla cupcakes, baked and cooled
- 3 cans vanilla frosting
- Red and blue food coloring
- Tint one can of frosting blue and one can red.
- Cut a large square of plastic wrap. Place the blue frosting in the center. Wrap up like a burrito, twist the ends. Repeat with the red and white frosting.
- Cut one twist of each frosting log. Prepare a piping bag with desired tip (I used a Wilton 1M). Place all three frosting logs evenly into the pastry bag. Frost cupcakes.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**