Fireworks Cupcakes are an easy Fourth of July cupcake recipe! Fill yellow cupcakes with red, white, and blue sprinkles for a fun patriotic dessert.
Everyone loves piñata cupcakes like these!
It's June which means the Fourth of July is next month! July 4 is such a special holiday: it's America's birthday. And birthdays require CUPCAKES!
If you're looking for July 4th cupcake decorating ideas, look no further, because I have your cupcake right here. It's easy to make and so fun because it's full of sprinkles. Everyone I know loves sprinkles!
These cupcakes are a fluffy yellow cake topped with a rich vanilla frosting. The fireworks part comes from the filling: sprinkles.
Have you seen piñata cupcakes or cake before? I've seen them all over social media lately and knew I needed to get on board. A piñata cake is what it sounds like: it's a cake full of something special. Where a piñata is full of candy, a piñata cupcake is full of sprinkles.
Take a bite and the sprinkles explode like fireworks!
(So, maybe eat these over a plate...or outside at a Fourth of July BBQ!)
Patriotic cupcakes are a dime a dozen these days, but these are something special. And they're so easy to make!
How do you make a piñata Fireworks Cupcake?
Like I said, easy.
- You can start with a cake mix, but I love this yellow cake recipe. However you choose to make the cupcakes is up to you.
- Get yourself a couple of cans of vanilla frosting, or make the frosting recipe in that cupcake recipe above. It's delicious!
- Hollow out your cupcakes. There are tools for this, but I just use a knife. See the video tutorial!
- Fill the cavity with sprinkles, then replace the cake piece and frost.
Another thing I love - you can use any kind of cake! Chocolate or Red Velvet cupcakes would be especially patriotic for the Fourth of July.
Everyone raved about these. The kids love them and they last a few days if you store them in the refrigerator. They'll be the first cupcakes that disappear!
- Bake and cool cupcakes according to package directions.
- Gently slice a round circle from the middle of the cupcake, taking out part of of the cupcake. Fill the hole with sprinkles and replace part of the piece you took out.
- Frost cupcake and top with more sprinkles.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Don't miss my Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes which are also perfect for summer!
My Flag Cake would be great for the 4th of July!
Dorothy is a blogger over at CrazyforCrust.com, where she's been sharing recipes with a slice of life for almost 10 years. She's married to Mel, the other half of Easy Good Ideas, and together they are raising a teenager and dog in Northern California.