Making a flag cake is so easy! Turn a funfetti cake into a flag cake for Memorial Day parties or the 4th of July.
Just some sprinkles turn a cake into funfetti cake, and you can make an easy flag cake by simply adding berries on top of white frosting!
PIN IT NOW TO SAVE FOR LATER!
Patriotic colors are my favorite. I know some people love red and green (Christmas) or pastel (Easter), but my favorite color combination is red, white, and blue. In fact, the 4th of July is my favorite holiday. It’s no pressure, full of fun food, and it’s got my favorite color scheme.
I know everyone looks at red, white, and blue food and thinks of July 4, but don’t forget about Memorial Day. Memorial Day isn’t just the first big BBQ holiday of the year; it’s a day we remember our service men and women and thank them for all they’ve done (and continue to do) for us.
That’s why, on Memorial Day, I like to make red, white, and blue desserts like a flag cake, to show my appreciation to my dad and all the other men and women keeping us safe.
A flag cake is probably the easiest way to make a patriotic dessert. You can make it from scratch or take some liberties by using a box mix. All you have to do is decorate the outside to look like our American flag!
This cake goes ones step further though – its’ not just a flag cake on the outside. It’s sparkling on the inside too because it’s a funfetti cake, full of red white and blue sprinkles!
There are so many American flag cake ideas out there online. You can use frosting, berries, or sprinkles to decorate the top. Some people even tie-dye the inside to make it even more festive. A Jell-O flag cake like that is so fun, but I love just adding sprinkles to my cake batter to make my own funfetti cake.
This American flag sheet cake is so easy to make!
- Start with your favorite box cake mix. If you want to make it from scratch, check out the link above the recipe.
- Instead of just baking the cake plain, add red white and blue sprinkles to it! This makes it funfetti.
- Once the cake is cooled, frost with vanilla frosting.
- To make an easy flag cake without any thought to patience, use berries: blueberries for the stars and raspberries and/or strawberries for the stripes.
Everyone seems to love American Flag kind of foods, especially flag cake. I think cake itself is such an American institution; bringing sheet cake to a potluck is just something that we all do.
An easy Funfetti Flag Cake is perfect to celebrate America, with an easy cake filled with sprinkles and a frosting full of berries.
Tips for making a Funfetti American Flag Cake:
- Buy red white and blue sprinkles online in bulk so you always have them on hand. I always get mine on amazon.
- Quarter your strawberries so you use less of them.
- Make sure your berries are washed but dried well so they don’t get the icing watery.
- Serve this the day it’s topped with berries.
Do you want to make this recipe from scratch? Use this Yellow Cake recipe to make the funfetti Flag Cake from scratch.
Funfetti Flag Cake
- 1 (15 ounce) yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake
- 1 cup red, white, and blue sprinkles
- 1 can (16 ounces) white frosting
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pound strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix according to package instructions, adding eggs, water, and oil specified for the mix you're using. Stir in sprinkles.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake according to box directions (about 30-40 minutes). Cool completely.
- Frost with white frosting. Top with blueberries for stars, and raspberries and strawberry quarters for stripes.