This grilled cheese sandwich recipe is a serious step-up from the childhood classic! Crispy bacon and layers of four different kinds of cheese are sandwiched between grilled bread and cooked in Parmesan garlic butter. It is the ultimate cheesy grilled cheese!
Save the Kraft singles for the kids and give your grilled cheese an upgrade with bacon and four different kinds of cheese for the best grilled cheese sandwich ever.
I might be biased, but it is incredibly delicious – it has two kinds of cheddar cheese plus Havarti and Gruyere cheese, which melt like a dream and have so much flavor. Instead of grilling it in plain butter, I make a garlic-Parmesan butter spread that takes it to the next level. Everything is sandwiched between sourdough bread.
While the sandwiches cook, the Parmesan cheese in the butter creates a crust on the outside of the sandwich. It’s so good and let me just say: this is definitely a grown-up grilled cheese sandwich.
- Softened butter
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Cooked bacon
- Sliced sourdough bread
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Sliced Havarti cheese
- Sliced Gruyere cheese
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich
I’m showing you how to make them on the stove, which is quick and easy. All you need is a skillet and a lid to cover it. Depending on how many sandwiches you make, you may need to cook them in batches.
- Make the Parmesan garlic butter: Place the softened butter in a bowl and mix until it’s creamy. Add the Parmesan and garlic salt and stir to combine.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Spread both kinds of cheddar cheese on the other side. Layer the bacon on top followed by one slice each of the Havarti and Gruyere cheese. Top with another slice of bread and spread some of the butter on the top.
- Cook the grilled cheese: Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Once it’s hot, place the sandwiches in the pan and cook them on one side until golden brown about three to four minutes. Flip the sandwiches and cook them on the other side. At this point, I like to add a few drops of water to the pan and cover it with a lid. This will create steam that will help the cheese melt.
Mel's Tips for Making the Best Grilled Cheese
If you don’t like sourdough bread, any thick-sliced sturdy bread will work. You want something sturdy so the bread can hold all of the cheese without getting soggy.
Be sure to monitor the heat. You don’t want the pan too hot otherwise, the bread will overcook or burn before the cheese melts. I find that medium-low works perfectly but every stove is different, so just keep an eye on it and adjust the heat if needed.
This probably goes without saying, but these grilled cheese sandwiches are best hot off the stove. Slice them in half and watch all of that melted cheese ooze out!
If you are making them in batches, you can keep the cooked ones warm in the oven. Just place a baking sheet in a low oven (200°F) and keep the sandwiches in there while you finish the rest.
Serve your amazing grilled cheese sandwiches with potato chips, French fries, or a bowl of tomato soup on the side for dunking.
Once you try this recipe, you might find yourself having grilled cheese night at least once a week. It’s hard to resist these, and they’re definitely not your average grilled cheese! Enjoy!
Other Dinners You'll Enjoy
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- I/2 cup salted butter softened
- ¼ parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 slices bacon cooked and slightly crispy
- 10 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup white sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 10 small slices of Havarti and gruyere cheese
- In a mixing bowl stir butter until creamy. Add garlic salt and parmesan cheese and mix well
- Spread butter on butter on one side of each slice of bread
- Preheat large skillet to medium low heat. Don’t let it get too hot or bread will burn before cheese is melted
- Build the sandwiches by putting a mixture of the medium and sharp cheddar cheese on the bottom creating an even thin layer of cheese. Put two slices of bacon on top of that. On top of the bacon, Place one slice of Havarti, then a slice of Gruyere, another slice of Havarti and then another slice of Gruyere to create a single layer the size of the bread.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Don’t let it burn. When you start to cook and after you flip the sandwich add a few drops of water. This will cause steam and help the cheese melt.
Once you try this recipe, you might find yourself having Grilled Cheese Sandwiches at least once a week. It’s hard to resist these, and they’re definitely not your average grilled cheese!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.