Pull apart sandwiches are a fun way to serve sandwiches for a party or family dinner. For this version, you stuff a large baguette with turkey, bacon, and cheese and bake it until it’s hot and the cheese is melted. It’s like a big turkey melt that everyone can share.
This turkey, bacon, and cheese sandwich is what happens when you combine a grilled cheese sandwich with pull apart bread. It’s a great way to put a twist on hot sandwiches and fun to make for game day and parties.
For this baked sandwich recipe, you slice a large loaf of bread like an accordion, and then you fill the slices with sandwich ingredients. Since you don’t cut all the way through the bread, it still is one big piece. Once baked, everyone can pull off parts of it. It’s a great presentation.
Pull apart sandwiches are easy to make, and you can use all kinds of sandwich fillings, but I love the turkey and bacon combination. If you like hot sandwiches, it’s a fun recipe to try.
Table of Contents
What Ingredients to Use in a Pull Apart Sandwich
- Thin-sliced turkey – You can buy a package of turkey or get some from the deli counter. I like the deli counter turkey because they can slice it really thin.
- Cooked and chopped bacon
- Softened unsalted butter cut into cubes
- Barbecue sauce
- Smashed garlic cloves
- Large sourdough baguette
- Grated Monterey jack cheese
How to Make a Pull Apart Sandwich
Line a large baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 425°F.
Place the butter cubes in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt it in the microwave for 10 seconds and then stir it. If it’s not completely melted, heat it for 10 seconds longer. Finally, mix the BBQ sauce and garlic into the melted butter.
Trim the ends of the baguette and then slice the bread into 12 even slices. Don’t cut all the way through – stop before you get to the bottom, so the loaf is in one piece.
Use a silicone brush to coat the inside of each slice with the BBQ butter mixture. Don’t overdo it – just do a light coating. Reserve some of the sauce to brush over the top once you’ve stuffed the bread.
Stuff each slice with one to two pieces of turkey. I like to fold the slices in half, so they fit neatly between each slice.
Stuff the bacon in each slice, followed by the shredded cheese. The slices should be full of fillings, so make sure to try and divide the ingredients evenly.
Brush the rest of the BBQ sauce mixture on the top and sides of the bread. Place the baguette on the baking sheet and cover it with foil.
Bake the pull apart sandwich for about 14 minutes or until the sandwich is hot and the cheese is melted.
Take the foil off, sprinkle more shredded cheese over the top of the sandwich, and bake it again for about three to four minutes. Once the cheese on top is melted, it’s done.
Let the sandwich cool for a few minutes. Then, for serving, you can slice it into separate hot sandwiches or let everyone pull their own one off.
The possibilities are endless with this recipe. Pretty much any sandwich filling you like will work. Here are some different combinations you might want to try:
- Chicken, Bacon & Ranch: Brush the bread slices with the ranch, add shredded chicken, bacon, and cheddar cheese.
- Pizza Pull Apart Sandwich: Use marinara for the sauce and add a few pizza toppings like pepperoni, green peppers, and sliced olives. Finish it with some mozzarella and some Parmesan cheese.
- Hot Roast Beef: Brush the inside with some horseradish mayonnaise, add some thin-sliced roast beef, and some shredded smoked cheddar cheese.
- Tuna Melt: Make a batch of tuna salad, stuff it in the bread and add some Monterey jack cheese.
- Hot Ham and Cheese: Use mustard for the sauce, add some sliced ham and add your favorite shredded cheese.
These are just a few ideas! There are so many more, I’m sure, so let me know your favorite combination if you give this pull apart sandwich recipe a try. Enjoy!
More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Turkey, Bacon and Cheese Pull Apart Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 pound turkey sliced thin
- 6 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 sourdough baguette large
- 1 cup to 1 ½ cups jack cheese grated
- Pre-heat oven to 425° F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the softened butter into smaller pieces. Put in a small microwave safe bowl. Put in for 10 seconds, stir and do another 10 seconds if not melted. Stir in the Barbecue sauce and garlic.
- Cut a little bit off each end of the baguette. Cut the baguette into 12 even width slices. Make sure you do not cut all the way through. You want the bottom of the baguette intact.
- Brush half of the butter mixture between each of the slices. Just a light coating. Then take 1 or 2 slices of turkey, fold it in half and stuff into every other slice of bread. Next put equal amounts of bacon in with the turkey. Finally add cheese to the turkey and bacon. Make sure each sandwich has a good amount of turkey and cheese.
- Take the remaining butter mixture and brush on the top and sides of the baguette. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 14 minutes. You want the ingredients hot, and the cheese melted. Remove foil and sprinkle with a little more cheese on top. Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melted. Look cool for a few minutes, Cut or pull the individual sandwiches apart and enjoy!!
- You can use so many different combinations like Ham, roast beef, different cheeses and different toppings. Just follow the same instructions with you favorite ingredients.
This Turkey, Bacon and Cheese Pull Apart Sandwich is like a big turkey melt that everyone can share – you will love these flavors together!