This Ground Beef Gyro Recipe is a twist on a classic gyro. You get all of the flavors of seasoned meat, fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and creamy tzatziki sauce but easier to make. This is an easy ground beef recipe that’s great for weeknight dinners.
We love Greek food, and ground beef gyros are an easy way to get fresh Greek flavors at home. Traditional gyros are made with lamb meat that is processed and cooked on a rotisserie. The meat is sliced and served in a pita with toppings. We love them but making our lamb gyro meat is not something we can do at home.
So, I make gyros using ground beef instead. It’s quick and easy with the same flavor profile as the original. If you’re craving Greek flavors, this is a great recipe to make at home instead of going out for dinner.
Table of Contents
- Olive oil
- Sliced onion
- Ground beef
- Minced garlic
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped Roma tomatoes
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Tzatziki sauce
How to Make Gyros with Ground Beef
1. Cook the onions in the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once they soften, add the beef and cook it. Break it up as it cooks and, once it’s no longer pink, add the garlic and cook it all for one minute.
2. Add all of the seasonings to the pan and stir to combine. Cook beef mixture for a couple of minutes.
3. Slice the pitas in half, so you have two pockets. Place the beef mixture inside the pita pockets and add the shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Top the beef gyros with tzatziki sauce, or you can serve it on the side.
Recipe Tips for Ground Beef Gyro
This is a great recipe for meal prep if you like to make your meals ahead. You can cook the beef and then keep it in the refrigerator for three to four days. Use it to make the gyros for lunches or dinners – all you have to do is warm it up and assemble the pitas.
If you don’t like to use beef, feel free to use ground turkey in its place.
You can also add some crumbled feta cheese to your ground beef gyro if you want to add some extra flavor and texture.
Side Dishes for Gyros
Enjoy these gyros as a light dinner, or add a side dish to make a more filling meal.
- Make a fresh Greek salad to go with them.
- Sometimes we add some baked French fries or potato chips on the side.
- Try it with a tabouli salad on the side which is a Mediterranean-style salad.
- Roasted potato wedges are delicious, too.
I hope you enjoy this easy twist on traditional gyros. We love to make this beef gyros recipe often because it’s easy and the flavors are delicious. Give it a try – I hope you like it, too.
Other Easy Dinners You’ll Enjoy
Ground Beef Gyro Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 Pita Pocket halves
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce shredded
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions first for 3-4 minutes until they start to soften. Then add ground beef and chop into small pieces and cook until no longer pink. A minute before the meat is done, add minced garlic. Drain fat
- Add in oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Let heat for 1-2 minutes
- Add ground beef to pita pocket, followed by shredded lettuce and tomato.
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce.
This Ground Beef Gyro Recipe is a twist on a classic gyro. You get all of the flavors of seasoned meat, fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and creamy tzatziki sauce but easier to make.
Looks good Mel. My husband wont eat lamb, so I will be excited to try this recipe.