Easy Creamy Chicken Stuffing Casserole is a hearty, comforting baked casserole perfect for a cold night. It’s easy to make with a stuffing mix, prepared soup, and rotisserie chicken. The flavors are savory, cozy, and it makes a big batch for a family meal.
You don’t need to wait until the holidays to make stuffing – it’s a great ingredient to use for everyday dinners like this creamy chicken casserole.
This recipe combines a creamy chicken casserole with savory stuffing for a baked dish that is hearty and comforting. Add a simple cooked vegetable on the side or a crisp green salad to make it a complete meal.
It’s also easy because I like to use a few shortcut ingredients like canned soup, boxed stuffing, and store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Table of Contents
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Boxed stuffing
- Chicken broth
- Softened cream cheese
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Chopped celery
- Diced sweet onion
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Make a Chicken Casserole with Stuffing
For the chicken, first pull all of the meat off of the bones and place it in a bowl. Shred the chicken and then set it aside.
Combine the butter and broth in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, and then remove the pan from the heat. Add the stuffing mix and stir until well combined. Let the stuffing sit for five minutes to absorb the liquid, then fluff it with a fork.
Mix the cream cheese, mushroom soup, and water in a large bowl. Stir in the celery and onion, and then add the shredded chicken and stuffing. Stir until combined.
Spread the mixture in a prepared 9×13” pan and cover the pan with foil. Bake the casserole at 375°F for 35 minutes. Take the foil off and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake it for 10 minutes more or until the chicken stuffing casserole is bubbly hot and golden on top.
Can you assemble it ahead and bake it later?
You can, but the casserole may be drier. I like to bake it soon after assembling, so it’s nice and creamy when it comes out of the oven. If it sits in the refrigerator before baking, the stuffing can dry out.
Can you use any kind of shredded chicken, or do you have to use rotisserie chicken?
I like to use rotisserie chicken because it’s easy but also because it’s already well-seasoned. If you want to use your own cooked and shredded chicken, I recommend seasoning, so it’s not bland.
Can you use shredded turkey?
Yes, this is a great way to use leftover roast turkey from a holiday meal.
What kind of stuffing is best for this recipe?
Any boxed stuffing mix will work. There are different brands and flavors, so choose one that you like.
How long do the leftovers keep?
Keep it covered or wrapped, and it will keep for two to three days. The flavors in this chicken stuffing casserole recipe are just like a holiday dinner but made easy in a casserole. Make it when you’re craving some comfort food – it will definitely satisfy the craving. Enjoy!
More Casserole Dishes You’ll Enjoy
Creamy Chicken Stuffing Casserole Recipe
- Whole Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 Box of Stuffing
- 1 ½ Cups Chicken Broth
- ¼ butter
- 4 oz cream cheese softened.
- 1 – 10.5 oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup + half can of water.
- 2 Stalks of Celery chopped
- ½ medium sweet onion diced
- ½ C. Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Remove chicken from the bones, place in a large bowl and shred, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine chicken broth and butter and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add the stuffing, mix until combined and let rest for 5 min. After 5 min, fluff with a fork.
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup and half a can of water, mix until well combined. Then mix in onion and celery.
- Add stuffing and chicken to the cream cheese mixture and mix gently.
- Spread evenly in a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Cover with foil and bake for 35 min.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for another 10 min or until it is lightly browned and bubbling.
This recipe is the perfect marriage of stuffing and a warm chicken casserole. If you’re looking for a savory, hearty meal for fall, try this Creamy Chicken Stuffing Casserole.