This Southwestern chicken bake is a creamy chicken casserole made with rotisserie chicken, jalapeno, and green chiles in a creamy sauce topped with cheese and crushed Doritos. The creamy chicken filling and crunchy topping are a great combination.
If you’re craving a comforting and hearty dinner, this Southwest chicken bake is a great choice. It’s a creamy, cheesy, chicken casserole with Southwest-inspired ingredients that give it tons of flavor.
This is the best dinner for a cold night because it’s really filling and it’s easy to make. I use rotisserie chicken to make it simple – all you do is make the chicken filling, layer it in a baking dish, and top it with some Doritos for a crunchy topping.
You can serve it all on its own or add a vegetable side dish or salad on the side. Plus, you can assemble this Southwestern chicken casserole a day ahead for easy meal prep and bake it the next day.
Table of Contents
Chicken Bake Ingredients
- Cooking spray
- Chopped onions
- Chopped jalapeno peppers
- Shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken (without the skin)
- Condensed cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Crushed Doritos
- Canned diced green chiles
- Sliced green onions
Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a 9×13” baking dish with cooking spray.
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat it on the stove over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and jalapenos and cook them until softened.
Add the chicken, soup, sour cream, and green chiles to the skillet and stir to combine. Transfer half of the chicken mixture to the prepared baking dish. Spread it into an even layer and then sprinkle half of the cheese and Doritos over the top.
Spread the rest of the chicken mixture over the top of the chips followed by the rest of the shredded cheese and the rest of the chips.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and then sprinkle the Doritos over the top of the cheese.
Bake the casserole uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and it’s bubbling hot around the edges. Allow it to rest for five minutes at room temperature before serving with the green onions sprinkled over the top.
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can prepare the filling and assemble the casserole a day in advance. Wait to add the crushed chips and refrigerate the casserole until you’re ready to bake it. Add the chips before you bake it so they’re nice and crunchy.
Can you use something other than Doritos?
You can use crushed tortilla chips instead of Doritos.
How long do the leftovers keep?
Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep well for three to four days, but the chips will soften and won’t be as crispy.
What is a chicken bake?
A chicken bake can be many things but is usually a type of chicken casserole made with a sauce and cheese. All of the ingredients are combined in a casserole dish and baked. It’s often topped with cheese and a crunchy topping. Sometimes all you need after a long day is a comforting casserole. This Southwestern chicken bake is definitely one to add to your dinner rotation – it’s easy to make, tastes great, and will warm you up. Enjoy!
More Comfort Meals You’ll Enjoy
Southwestern Chicken Bake Recipe
- 1 Large Rotisserie Chicken skin removed
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 Jalapeno peppers seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cans 10.75 ounce condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 package 9.25 ounce Doritos, crushed
- 1 7- ounce can chopped green chilies
- Cooking spray
- Green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat cooking spray in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapeno peppers and cook, stirring often, until softened.
- Stir in Chicken, soup, sour cream and green chilies. Spray a 9x13x2 baking dish with cooking spray. Add half the chicken mixture evenly distributed in the baking dish, then add cheese on top of that followed by a layer of the crushed Doritos. Repeat the sequence adding a second layer of all three items.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes uncovered or until all cheese is melted and it is bubbly. Let rest for at least 5 minutes, garnish with green onions and serve.
If you’re craving a comforting and hearty dinner, give this Southwestern Chicken Bake a try! The creamy chicken filling and crunchy topping are a great combination.