This Tortilla Casserole has just four ingredients and a quick-cooking method for a great dinner. This recipe is a make-ahead recipe with layers of tortillas, chili, and cheese for a hearty and filling dinner.
For an easy dinner, you can’t go wrong with this tortilla chili casserole. It has many flavors you get in a Mexican casserole with flour tortillas but is made really easy with some shortcuts.
Easy Tortilla Casserole
- You only need four ingredients to make it.
- It can be assembled the night before, so it’s easy to warm up and serve for an easy dinner the next night.
- You cook this tortilla chili casserole in the microwave - no need to turn on the oven.
- The leftovers are even better – I like this recipe for meal prep because it tastes good for several days after it’s made.
- It’s easy to customize to suit your tastes. I’m sharing plenty of tips so you can make this recipe your own.
This dish is cheesy, comforting, and satisfying. I like it with a simple veggie on the side like broccoli, or it’s excellent with a crisp salad with your favorite dressing.
- Canned turkey chili
- Tomato sauce
- Fajita-sized flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Combine the chili and tomato sauce in a mixing bowl.
Spoon some of the chili mixture into the bottom of an 8x8” microwave-safe baking dish. Spread it into an even layer. Place a tortilla on top of the chili.
Spoon more chili on top of the tortillas and spread it into an even layer. Next, sprinkle some of the cheese on top. Repeat this layering process with the rest of the chili, cheese, and tortillas. You should have eight total layers.
Top the casserole with cheese and then cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the casserole for at least three hours or, ideally, overnight.
When you are ready to warm it, take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
Place four toothpicks in the casserole, so they are sticking out of the top. Cover with parchment paper. The toothpicks should hold the parchment up, so it isn’t touching the surface of the casserole.
Heat the casserole in the microwave for five minutes, and then let it rest for two minutes. Repeat this process three to four more times or until the tortilla casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.
Make sure you use a microwave-safe baking dish for this recipe.
Fajita tortillas are the perfect size for an 8x8” dish. You can also use soft taco tortillas, but you will need a 9x9” baking dish.
The microwave cooking method is faster than the oven, but it’s important to cook the flour tortilla casserole in five-minute increments, so it cooks evenly.
If you would rather bake the casserole, you can do that. Preheat the oven to 350°F and cover the tortilla bake casserole with foil. Bake it for 20 minutes and then remove the foil. Bake it uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot.
There are several variations for this recipe – just swap some of the ingredients to change the flavor.
Tortillas: I like this casserole with flour tortillas, but you can use corn tortillas, too. Depending on the size, you may need a different-sized baking dish.
Chili: Any kind of chili will work for this recipe. Try different types of canned chili, or this is a great recipe to use up leftover homemade chili.
Cheese: Switch the cheddar cheese for Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or do a combination of cheese. If you want an easy make-ahead dinner that you don’t have to turn on the oven for, this tortilla casserole recipe is a great option. The flavors are great, and you don’t need a bunch of ingredients to make it. I hope you enjoy it!
More Casserole Dishes You'll Enjoy
Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 8-10 flour tortillas – Fajita size you can also use soft taco size
- 1 15 ounce can Turkey chili
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Stir the chili and tomato sauce together in a mixing bowl.
- Take an 8”x8” microwave safe pan (you will need a 9”x9” pan if using the soft taco sized tortillas) and put a large spoonful of the chili mixture in the bottom of the pan. Add a tortilla on top. Place more chili mixture on the tortilla and spread it around. Sprinkle cheese on top. Add another tortilla on top and repeat with chili mixture and cheese and repeat this process until you are out of the chili mixture. You should get at least 8 layers. Take some leftover cheese and sprinkle it on top of the last tortilla.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 3 hours. If you can leave it over night that is best and allows the flavor to really come through.
- Prior to cooking take the pan out of the refrigerator and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Place 4 toothpicks in the top so they are sticking out. Cover with parchment paper. The toothpicks will keep it from resting directly on the top tortilla.
- Heat in the microwave for 5 minutes at a time. Let sit for 2 minutes each time. It should take 15-20 minutes or 3 or 4 times in the microwave. You want the cheese melted and the casserole hot. Serve while hot. Makes great leftovers.
- You can bake this in the oven. You can cover with foil and cook for 30-40 minutes at 350°F. Remove the foil after about 20 minutes.
- As noted above you will need different sized pans depending on the size of tortilla you get. 8”x 8” for a Fajita sized tortilla and 9”x 9” for a soft taco sized tortilla.
- We used turkey chili but you can choose any chili you like!!
Tortilla Casserole is filling, hearty and cheesy! It’s the perfect weeknight dinner recipe when you’re craving something easy and delicious.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.