Tater Tot Nachos are a fun twist on regular nachos that swaps the tortilla chips for crispy baked tater tots instead. They’re topped with seasoned ground beef and cheese along with all your favorite nacho toppings!
This tater tot nachos recipe, also known as Irish nachos, is like a tater tot casserole except served up nacho-style. Who doesn’t love nachos? And nachos with tater tots instead of chips – um, yes, please sign me up for that!
We love to make these for dinner and it’s also a great snack or appetizer. I love to make them when I have leftover seasoned ground beef from taco night, which makes them so easy to make. The tots are loaded with the seasoned beef, lots of cheese and all the topping like guacamole, chopped tomatoes, black olives and sour cream.
Of course, you can add your favorite toppings – it’s your choice! You can also make these tater tot nachos with ground beef or ground turkey. Both are delicious.
For the base of the nachos you only need three things:
- Frozen tater tots
- Cooked taco meat
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Tater Tot Nachos
If you already have cooked seasoned beef, this is a quick 10-minute prep recipe. This is the recipe for my basic taco meat – it’s so simple, so if you need to make a batch for this recipe it only adds 10 minutes to the prep time.
Just brown one pound of ground beef or turkey in a skillet. Once it’s cooked through, drain any excess grease and then add one packet of taco seasoning and the amount of water listed on the packet. Cook it all together for five minutes.
You will only need half of the ground beef for the nachos.
Once you have the meat, all you do is assemble the nachos:
- Spread the frozen tater tots in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake them following the package instructions.
- When they are done, top them (while they are still hot) with the beef (or turkey) and cheese. Bake them for another five minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Pull them out the oven and top them with your favorite toppings! We love:
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Guacamole or diced avocados
- Sour cream
- Salsa or pico de gallo
How to Make Vegetarian Tater Tot Nachos
You can omit the meat and make tater tot nachos vegetarian by using beans. Pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans or a combination of beans will work great.
Nachos are usually thought of as an appetizer, but these tater tot nachos make a great dinner! We also make them for a fun party snack when we have friends and family over. They’re always a hit when we make them – I hope you love them, too.
Other dinners you'll enjoy:
Tater Tot Nachos Recipe
For the base nachos:
- 1/2 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1/2 pound taco meat prepared (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 sliced avocado or prepared guacamole
- 8 ounces sliced black olives drained
- Sour Cream and/or salsa to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place tater tots in a single later on a large cookie or baking sheet (at least 11x17-inches). Cook according to package directions. Meanwhile prepare toppings.
- Top hot tater tots with taco meat and cheese. Bake for about 5 additional minutes, or until meat is hot and cheese is melted.
- For serving: top with tomatoes, avocados, olives, sour cream and/or any other toppings.
Nachos are usually thought of as an appetizer, but they also make for a great dinner! Tater Tot Nachos are a fun twist on regular nachos and such a simple substitute. You will keep going back for more!
Dorothy is a blogger over at CrazyforCrust.com, where she's been sharing recipes with a slice of life for almost 10 years. She's married to Mel, the other half of Easy Good Ideas, and together they are raising a teenager and dog in Northern California.