Try these Turkey Tacos for your next taco night! Ground turkey taco meat is lean and full of flavor from taco seasoning. This is an easy dinner that’s great for weeknights – don’t forget to add all the toppings like cheese, avocado, and sour cream.
We have a weekly taco night, and I love to switch it up so it doesn’t get boring, and this ground turkey taco recipe is one of our favorites. Seasoned ground turkey in tortillas with taco toppings is a quick and easy dinner.
Ground turkey is leaner than beef, but that doesn’t mean it’s not as delicious. I’m showing you how to cook the ground turkey for tacos, so you can’t even tell the difference. These tacos are full of flavor, especially with all the toppings.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can also switch out the ground turkey for other ingredients like shrimp, chicken, pork, and beef. The recipe is simple and easy to customize.
- Ground turkey
- Taco seasoning
- Chopped yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- Corn tortillas
How to Make Ground Turkey Tacos in 3 Easy Steps
Cook the onion in a skillet with oil over medium heat. Once it’s softened, add the meat and cook it until it’s no longer pink. Drain off the excess liquid in the skillet.
Add the taco seasoning and water to the skillet and stir to combine with the turkey. Simmer the meat for a few minutes or until the liquid has thickened.
Scoop the turkey taco meat into tortillas and top each with cheese, lettuce, and tomato.
Cheese, lettuce, and tomato are great, but here are some more taco topping ideas to add even more flavors:
- Sliced or diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Chopped jalapeno peppers
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped cilantro
Meat: Use ground beef in place of the turkey. Or try cooking shrimp in the seasoning for shrimp tacos. I’ve also used ground chicken and ground pork before.
Cheese: We love cheddar but feel free to substitute your favorite kind of shredded cheese.
Tortillas: Corn tortillas or flour tortillas are great. You can also substitute crunchy taco shells.
Make Ahead Tip
This recipe is pretty quick, so I don’t usually make it ahead, but you can to save time during the week if it’s busy.
Cook the meat as instructed. Let it cool off and then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for three to four days.
You can reheat it in the microwave and prep your toppings for a fast dinner.
Side Dish Ideas for Turkey Tacos
- You can’t go wrong with some chips, salsa, and guacamole on the side.
- Serve the tacos with some cilantro-lime rice on the side.
- Refried beans topped with melted cheese are always good, too.
Make these for your next taco night for an easy dinner. The flavors are great and with so many ways to switch it up you don’t have to have them the same way twice. Enjoy!
Side Dishes You'll Enjoy with Turkey Tacos
Turkey Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 1 small yellow onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Small head Romain lettuce shredded
- 1 roma tomato chopped
- 10 small corn tortillas you can use flour too
- 1 avocado sliced
- Sour Cream for garnish optional
- Jalapeno Pepper for garnish optional
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until they become translucent. Add in ground turkey chopping into small pieces and cook until no longer pink, 3-5 minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Follow directions on the taco seasoning and stir into the turkey. Make sure all the turkey is covered with the seasoning mixture. Stir occasionally and cook per instructions on the taco seasoning (in most cases you will add the seasoning and water. Stir in bring to a boil and then letter simmer for about 4 minutes).
- Build tacos adding meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato and avocado. Finish with some sour cream and jalapeno peppers.
- You can use any protein to make the tacos. Ground beef, shrimp, Carne asada and others all make tacos taste great.
- We used cheddar cheese but so many cheeses would taste great.
- Pick your favorite - While we used soft corn tortillas the crunchy corn tortillas give a nice crunch to the taco
These Turkey Tacos will be perfect to try for your next taco Tuesday! We love to pile on the toppings like sour cream, jalapenos and avocado.