Chili Tater Tot Casserole is an easy meat and potatoes dinner made with ground turkey, tater tots, chili, and cheese. It’s a complete meal that will satisfy a craving for a hearty meal.
Chili cheese combined with crispy tater tots makes a comforting and filling dinner for a cold night. Browned turkey meat is layered in a baking dish with chili and cheese with tater tots completing the top layer. Similar to a tater tot hot dish, it’s serious comfort food!
It’s also an excellent meal for a weeknight dinner. You can prep and assemble the dish in about 15 minutes, and then it goes into the oven to bake. We like to serve it with a cooked vegetable or tossed salad on the side.
This tater tot casserole recipe also makes great leftovers! Store them in meal prep containers, and you can warm them up for a quick lunch the next day. The flavors just get better after it’s made.
- Cooking spray
- Ground turkey
- Diced yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Canned chili with beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
Coat a large pan with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 400°F.
Heat the pan over medium-high heat, and then add the ground turkey. Cook it until it’s browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Once it starts to brown, add the garlic and onion and cook them with the turkey until it’s no longer pink.
Spread the turkey mixture in a 9x13” casserole dish. Spread the chili over the top and then sprinkle the cheese over the chili. Place the frozen tater tots in a single layer on top of the chili.
Bake the tater tot casserole for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the tots are golden brown and the casserole is hot.
Can you make it ahead?
You can cook the turkey and assemble the casserole a day in advance. Wait to add the tater tots until you bake the dish. You want them to be frozen when you bake them, so they get golden and crispy.
How long should you bake tater tot casserole?
At 400°F, it should only take 35 to 40 minutes to bake. Depending on your oven, it may take or less time, so keep that in mind. You should bake it until it’s hot all the way through and the tots are golden brown.
How long do the leftovers keep?
They will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.
You can change the turkey for ground beef if you prefer.
There are many different kinds of canned chili, so it’s easy to switch this dish up by changing the chili you use.
The casserole is delicious plain, but you can serve it with toppings like sour cream, salsa, diced avocado, or sprinkle some chopped cilantro over the top. Make this chili cheese tater tot casserole for dinner, and it will get everyone around the table ready to dig in. It’s so easy to make and always gets great reviews. Enjoy!
More Casseroles for Busy Weeknights
Chili Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1 32 ounce bag tater tots frozen
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 ounce can of chili with beans
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Add ground Turkey over medium high heat. Break up into small pieces as you cook. Cook until it starts to brown. Add garlic and onion and cook until turkey is no longer pink. Onions should be soft. Drain the excess fat.
- In a 9x13x2 inch casserole dish place the turkey mixture on the bottom. Add chili on top of the turkey then add cheese in an even layer. Add one single layer of tater tots on top
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown and casserole is hot throughout. Serve!!
- You can use ground beef instead of ground turkey if you like
- You can serve with sour cream, salsa or your favorite condiment.
- This is great as leftovers and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tater Tot and Chili Casserole is a hearty, comfort meal that will satisfy the whole family! You can prep and assemble the dish in about 15 minutes, and then it goes into the oven to bake.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.