Cheese and Bacon Smashed Potatoes is an easy side dish recipe similar to mashed potatoes. The potatoes are cooked in the microwave and then smashed to break them down. Add sour cream, cheese, and bacon, and you get a great side!
This smashed potatoes recipe is a really easy potato side dish. You don’t have to slice the potatoes or boil them. Instead, they are cooked whole in the microwave in about 10 minutes.
If you want an easy side dish for weeknight dinners or holiday dinners, I think you will really like cheese and bacon smashed potatoes.
What are Smashed Potatoes?
They’re like a cross between a baked potato and mashed potatoes. Some recipes use small potatoes that are baked and then mashed down and topped with toppings.
What I like better (and it’s easier to make) is this recipe. I use regular Yukon gold potatoes, microwave them, and then smash them, so they are broken up but not creamed or pureed. You can mix in different ingredients to dress them up.
They have a chunky texture with a bit of creaminess from sour cream. I like to add some cheddar cheese and bacon, which are the same toppings I like on baked potatoes.
Once you know how to microwave potatoes, you will love how fast it is. It can take an hour to bake potatoes – the microwave makes it so much easier.
Table of Contents
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Cooked and chopped bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
Use a fork to poke holes a few times in each potato. Place the potatoes on a paper towel in the microwave. Cook them for five minutes and then turn them over and cook them for five minutes more, or until they are soft.
Place the hot potatoes in a large bowl. Roughly mash them with a potato masher or large spoon. They can be a little chunky.
Add the cooked bacon, sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, and then they are ready to serve.
Don’t forget to punch a few holes in the potatoes before microwaving them. This allows steam to escape.
I like to use Yukon golds, but you can use any kind of potato for this recipe. If the skins are thicker, you may want to peel them first.
You can cook the bacon ahead of time for this recipe or use store-bought bacon bits to make it easy.
Leftover smashed potatoes will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Feel free to change the other ingredients to give your smashed potatoes recipe a different flavor.
Here are some ideas:
- Add finely chopped red onion or green onions.
- Mix in some roasted garlic.
- Try different kinds of shredded cheese.
- Swap the sour cream for some softened cream cheese.
- Add fresh herbs like chopped parsley, chives, or cilantro.
This cheese and bacon smashed potatoes recipe is a go-to at our house. It’s great with steak, pork, turkey, and ham. Give it a try soon, and I hope you enjoy it.
More Tasty Side Dishes To Try
Cheese and Bacon Smashed Potatoes Recipe
- 1.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes washed
- 8 slices bacon cooked crispy and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Poke potatoes with a fork a couple of times each. Place in Microwave on a paper towel. Microwave for 5 minutes. Turn potatoes over and microwave for 5 more minutes or until potatoes are soft enough to mash.
- In a large bowl add potatoes. Using a masher or spoon mash the potatoes (they can be a little chunky). Add bacon, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Combine well. Serve!!
This Cheese and Bacon Smashed Potatoes recipe is the easiest potato recipe you can try because all you need to cook them is your microwave.