This dish combines the best mashed potato recipe with everything you love about cheeseburgers – savory beef and lots of melted cheddar cheese! Cheeseburger mashed potatoes is a fun twist on burgers and perfect when you’re craving a hearty dinner.
We love burger night, but sometimes it’s fun to put a twist on it so we came up with this cheeseburger mashed potato recipe. It has all of the same flavors, but served up in a baking dish with creamy mashed potatoes and a “cheeseburger” topping made with flavorful ground beef and cheese.
We take our mashed potatoes very seriously around here and I can promise you this is the best mashed potato recipe! They’re creamy with a little tang from cream cheese – it’s our go-to recipe whenever we make them.
Adding the ground beef and cheese is a great way to take them from side dish to main dish – add a salad or cooked vegetable on the side and you get a hearty and filling dinner.
Table of Contents
How to Make Mashed Potatoes
This dish starts with the mashed potatoes and our recipe is easy. Plus, you don’t need a ton of ingredients:
- Yukon Gold potatoes are great for mashed potatoes because they’re not too starchy. You can peel them or keep the skin on – it’s up to you!
- Seasoned salt
- Unsalted butter
- Cream cheese
First, dice the potatoes and then place them in a large pot and cover them with one-inch of water.
Starting them in cold water will ensure they cook evenly. So, once you add the water turn on the heat and bring them to a boil. Once boiling, cook the potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are fork tender. This means you can press a fork into a piece without resistance.
Drain them and then return them back to the same pot. Adjust the heat to low and mash them until they are broken down and there are not big chunks.
Place the butter and cream cheese in the pot with the mashed potatoes. Cover the pot with the lid for 30 seconds. The heat will soften the butter and cheese so it’s easy to mix into the potatoes. Use the masher to combine it all together. Add the milk and seasoning and stir to combine.
Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer in a 9×13” baking dish.
- Finely chopped onion
- Lean ground beef (or turkey)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato paste
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
I usually make the topping while the potatoes are cooking. It’s really easy and doesn’t take long to make.
Just cook the onion in a skillet until it’s softened. Add the beef and cook it until browned, breaking it apart as it cooks. Drain of the extra fat from the pan.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, Parmesan, salt and pepper and cook them with the ground beef for five minutes.
Spread the cheeseburger topping over the top of the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top and then bake it for five to ten minutes at 350°F or until the cheese is melted and the dish is hot.
Can You Freeze Mashed Potatoes?
These cream cheese mashed potatoes are freezer-friendly! So, you can make a batch and freeze it for up to three months. Just make sure they are cooled before transferring them to a freezer-safe container.
You can also freeze the cheeseburger topping. I usually keep them separate and then reheat them when I want to serve them.
How Long to Boil Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes?
It depends on how big your potatoes are. I like to cut them into quarters so they cook in about 10 to 15 minutes. The best way to know if they’re done is to insert a fork into the center of a piece – there should be no resistance and the fork should slide right through.
What Can I Serve with Cheeseburger Mashed Potatoes?
- Serve it with a fresh green salad on the side – we love a Caesar salad or a mixed green salad with Italian dressing.
- Roasted vegetables like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower or other cooked vegetable you like is great, too!
- For a really hearty dinner add some garlic bread!
I hope you give this cheeseburger mashed potato recipe a try – it’s serious comfort food! You will love creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes with the savory beef topping. Enjoy!
Other Dinners You’ll Enjoy
Cheeseburger Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 medium onion chopped small
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice potatoes (peel if desired). Add them to a large pot and fill with water one inch above the potato line.
- Bring to a boil and cook about 10-15 minutes (cooking time will depend on potato size), or until the potatoes are fork tender (when stabbed with a fork they fall off on their own).
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the pot. Place the pot back on the burner over very low heat. Mash with a potato masher until all the big chunks are broken up.
- Add the cream cheese and butter to the pan. Put the lid on top and let sit for about 30 seconds, then mash the cream cheese and butter into the potatoes, adding 2 tablespoons milk and seasoning to taste. Add more milk if desired for creamier mashed potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the onions and oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the onion is slightly translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Add the ground beef or turkey, breaking up the chunks into small bits. Once cooked through, drain any fat.
- Stir in the Worcestershire, tomato paste, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to the meat, stirring to combine and cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Evenly top the mashed potatoes with the cheeseburger topping and top with shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.
I hope you give this Cheeseburger Mashed Potato recipe a try – it’s serious comfort food! You will love creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes with the savory beef topping.