Homemade Potato Chips are so easy to make in your air fryer! You only need three ingredients, and they get really crispy without using a lot of oil. Air Fryer Potato chips are a healthier snack – you’ll skip the bagged chips once you try them.
Easy Air Fryer Potato Chips
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets is the air fryer – I love that I can make crispy snacks that are healthier than deep-fried ones. Like homemade potato chips!
Can you make potato chips in an air fryer?
Yes, and they’re delicious! I’ve tried making healthier potato chips in the oven, but they don’t always get as crispy and take much longer to cook. The air fryer solves that – they crisp up faster with way less oil than deep-frying.
Plus, they’re easy to make. Just three ingredients and about 10 minutes or so in the air fryer, and you have crunchy, crispy potato chips. I also love that I can change the seasonings to make different flavors.
This air fryer potato chips recipe I’m sharing is simple, but feel free to change up the seasonings to make your favorite flavor. Once you try them, it might be your new favorite way to use your air fryer.
- Large russet potatoes
- Canola oil
How to Make Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- Clean the potatoes and dry them. Slice them into thin circles. You can use a sharp knife or use a mandolin. A mandolin makes it easy to get thin even-sized pieces.
- Place the potato slices in a bowl with ice water cold water covering them. Soak them for 30 minutes. This will release some of the starch in the potatoes, so they get even crispier when you cook them.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse them under cold water. Place them in a single layer on a large baking sheet or cutting board. Use a paper towel to blot them dry. Dry them as much as possible – the drier they are, the crispier they will get when you air fry them.
- Once you’ve dried them, place them in a bowl and add the olive oil. Toss or mix them, so they are evenly coated.
- Place a single layer of potato slices in your preheated air fryer. You will need to cook them in batches. Cook them for eight to ten minutes at 350°F, and then turn them over. Increase the air fryer heat to 375°F and cook them for a few more minutes or until they are crispy.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the slices. Once the potato chips are cooked, season them with salt and serve!
You can use different seasonings to change the flavor of your chips. Try dry ranch seasoning, garlic powder, or Cajun seasoning, or mix up your own unique blend with spices you have in the pantry.
Once the chips are cooled, you can store them in an airtight container. They should keep for up to a week at room temperature.
My chips aren’t crispy. What happened?
There are a few reasons your air fryer potato chips don’t get crispy:
- They are sliced too thick – aim to cut them about 1/8” thick. Any thicker than this, and they will take longer to cook, or they won’t get crispy.
- They are too wet – removing as much moisture as possible before you cook them is very important. So, be sure to blot them dry.
- You didn’t soak them – soaking removes some of the starch, which helps them crisp up when you cook them.
- The air fryer temperature was not correct – I find it’s best to cook them at two different temperatures. First, a lower temperature (350°F) cooks the potatoes, and then, second, at 375°F, which turns them very crispy.
We love these air fryer potato chips with sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, or just as a snack. They’re crispy and delicious, and it’s great to know exactly what’s in them, unlike regular potato chips. They’re definitely a healthier snack. Enjoy!
More Creative Recipes Using Potatoes
Air Fryer Potato Chips
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash potatoes and dry them. Slice them into thin circles. If you have a mandolin that is perfect to use so you get even slices.
- Place sliced potatoes into cold water. I add some ice to the water, so it is very cold. Let them sit in the water for 30 minutes.
- Using a colendar, drain the water from the potatoes and rinse with cold water. Lay the potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet or cutting board. Use towels or paper towels to dry the potatoes. You want them to be very dry.
- Pre-Heat air fryer to 350°F. Place potatoes in a large bowl and add oil. Mix well.
- You will cook these in batches. Add a single layer of the potato slices into the air fryer. Try not to overlap. Cook for 8-10 minutes (check them after 8 minutes. You don’t want them to burn). Next, flip the slices over, up the temperature to 375°F and cook for another 3 minutes to let them crisp up. Repeat until all the slices are cooked.
- Add salt and serve!! You can add garlic or parmesan cheese to change up the flavor.
Air Fryer Potato Chips are easy to make and they are a great snack everyone will enjoy!!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.