Homemade Potato Wedges are crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. Serve them as an easy side dish, appetizer, or snack along with your favorite dipping sauce. Once you see how easy they are to make, you’ll find all kinds of excuses to make them.
Potato wedges are a great side dish to make at home. They’re not difficult to make and taste like restaurant ones, but instead of fried, they’re baked in the oven. So, they’re definitely healthier.
We make these a lot because they pair with so many main dishes: burgers, steak, pork chops, and baked chicken are just a few. We also make them as an appetizer or snack for parties – it’s fun to make a big batch and then make a platter with several dipping sauces to go with them.
If you’ve never made them, I’m explaining how to cut potato wedges, so they are the perfect size, and showing you how to make baked potato wedges in the oven.
Potato Wedges Recipe
- Large russet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to Cut Potatoes into Wedges
First, wash and dry the potatoes thoroughly. You don’t want much moisture on the outside. Otherwise, they won’t get as crispy. Also, it’s important to use a sharp knife. It makes slicing potatoes easier and safer.
You don’t need to peel the potatoes, so once they are dried, slice each one in half lengthwise. Take one piece and place it cut-side down on your cutting board.
Slice it in half. Next, slice each half in half again, so you have four pieces. Slice each quarter piece in half, so you have eight wedges. Repeat this with the rest of the potatoes.
How to Season the Wedges
Once you have the wedges, the next step is to season them. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Place the potato wedges in the bowl and toss to coat them in the oil and seasonings.
How to Bake Potato Wedges
Line a large baking sheet with foil and coat it with cooking spray. Place the seasoned wedges on the pan in an even layer. Make sure they are not overlapping - there should be space between each.
Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over the top of the potatoes. Bake them at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
Serve them hot from the oven with the rest of the Parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley sprinkled over the top.
Dipping Sauce Ideas
There are quite a few dipping sauce ideas – here are ones we like:
- Ranch dressing
- BBQ sauce
- Mayonnaise with lemon juice and fresh herbs mixed in
- Honey Mustard
Once you know how to make potato wedges, you can serve them as a potato side dish for your favorite meals or make them for snacks – either way, they’re easy and delicious. I hope you enjoy them!
Other Side Dishes You'll Enjoy
Potato Wedges Recipe
- 3 Large russet potatoes washed and cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk olive oil, onion powder, paprika, garlic power, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the wedges to the bowl and cover them with the mixture. Place skin side down on the baking sheet and do not overlap the wedges.
- Add half of the parmesan cheese over the top of the wedges. Bake on a rack in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce. Add additional parmesan cheese as needed.
These homemade Potato Wedges are crispy on the outside yet soft and tender on the inside. They are SO good and the perfect side dish!