Easy Cajun shrimp and sausage skillet is an easy one-pot meal with a healthy twist. Chicken sausage, bell peppers, tomatoes, and Cajun seasonings combine with shrimp for a light meal. Serve it with cauliflower rice for an easy dinner.
Shrimp, sausage, and rice are a classic combination, and for this version, I’ve lightened it up with a few healthy twists. It’s light with a kick of heat and really easy to make.
If you like Cajun flavors, I think you will love this sausage and shrimp recipe. You only need one pan, and the whole dish is ready in about 30 minutes, making it great for weeknight dinners.
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- Cooking spray
- Chopped bell pepper
- Thinly sliced chicken sausage
- Deveined shrimp with tails removed
- Drained canned fire-roasted tomatoes
- Cajun seasoning
- Minced garlic
- Cooked cauliflower rice for serving
How to Make Sausage and Shrimp Skillet
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, heat it over medium heat, and then add the bell pepper and cook it for a couple of minutes. Next, add the sliced sausage and brown it for five minutes.
Add the shrimp, tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, and garlic. Stir to combine and cook it all for about a minute. Next, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer the shrimp and sausage for three to four minutes.
Let it stand for five minutes before serving with the cauliflower rice.
You can use fresh shrimp for this recipe or frozen shrimp. For frozen shrimp, be sure to buy ones that are deveined with the tails removed. Thaw them before you cook them – the package should have instructions for doing that.
Choose your favorite bell pepper color for this dish, or you can use half of one color and half of another color.
For the Cajun seasoning, choose a brand that you like. Different brands are spicier than others.
This is a healthy dish with the chicken sausage and cauliflower rice. However, for a different flavor, feel free to use andouille sausage and plain white rice. It won’t be as healthy, but the flavors will be great.
Any leftovers will keep for a few days in the refrigerator. For a flavorful one-pan meal, this Cajun sausage and shrimp skillet is a great one to try. It’s easy, loaded with flavor, and light and healthy. Enjoy!
More Skillet Dinners You’ll Enjoy
Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Skillet Recipe
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower rice microwave per package instructions
- 12 oz package of chicken sausage sliced thin
- 12 ounces frozen shrimp thawed, deveined, tails removed
- 1 bell pepper chopped (any color)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun spice we used store bought Cajun spice
- 1 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes drained
- Cooking spray
- Heat cooking spray in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add bell pepper for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage for about 5 minutes or until browned. Stir occasionally.
- Add shrimp, diced tomatoes, Cajun seasoning to skillet and mix well. Stir for about a minute and ensure everything is fully combined.
- Turn heat down to medium low and let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with rice.
- We made this version healthier by using cauliflower rice and chicken sausage. To get more flavor and spice use white rice and andouille sausage.
- Feel free to use fresh shrimp. We use frozen out of convenience and still love the taste but fresh is always great.
If you like spicy, Cajun flavors, you should try this Shrimp and Sausage Skillet. It’s a one-pan, easy dinner that’s perfect for your busy weeknights.