Pasta is one of the most popular dishes in the world, one of the easiest to make, as well as the most diverse! You can put so many different, scrumptious, and fresh ingredients in pasta. One of my favorites is mushroom and spinach pasta with tomato pasta. The ingredients just go so well together!
Table of Contents
Easy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
This mushroom spinach Penne is a healthy, hearty, and delcious meal that will last you! So feel free to make a big pot to share. It’s creamy and packed with fresh ingredients that make for an quick and easy, but yummy lunch or dinner.
Ingredients to Make Mushroom Spinach Pasta
- Penne pasta- You can use any pasta for this recipe but Penne works the best.
- Olive oil- What’s pasta without olive oil?
- Garlic- Adds an excellent flavorful base for the sauce.
- Baby Bella mushrooms- Slice these in half, you want the pieces to be bite-sized.
- Grape tomatoes- Just like the mushrooms, slice these in half.
- Half and Half- Makes the pasta delicious and creamy!
- Vegetable broth- A key component in making sure the pasta is flavorful and marinated.
- Flour- Helps to thicken all the liquid elements, making everything stick together perfectly.
- Salt & pepper– To taste.
- Parmesan cheese– Buy shredded cheese or grate it yourself, for mixing in and sprinkling on top.
- Fresh spinach- Adding greens to pasta is a great way to make it healthier and enhance the flavor!
- Red chili flake- Adds a little excitement and flavor
How to Make Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
- Cook the pasta- Prepare pasta per the directions on the box.
- Coat the pan– While the pasta is cooking, take a large skillet and heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic until fragrant.
- Cook add-ins- Next, add the mushrooms and grape tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix and simmer pasta sauce- in the same large skillet over medium heat, combine the half and half, vegetable broth, and whisk in the flour. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Continue to mix for 4-5 min or right until it begins to simmer.
- Combine- Once the broth has begun to simmer, add the pasta, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the finishing touches- Lastly, add the shredded parmesan cheese and spinach. Stir until the cheese has melted and the spinach has softened.
- Serve- Add a dash of chili flakes if you like and serve right away! Enjoy!
After you boil your pasta save some of the pasta water and splash a small amount in when stirring the rest of the ingredients to add some thickness to the sauce.
Before boiling your water throw in some olive oil and a pinch of salt to season your pasta water this makes your pasta have a better texture and richer flavor when cooked.
What to Serve with Mushroom Spinach Pasta
If you are ever unsure what to serve with your dinner you can follow the general rule of salad and pasta. These two dishes often go together beautifully because they utilize the same ingredients and can create a nice balance between the dishes.
Other Italian dishes such as grilled Eggplant parmesan, garlic knots, and bruschetta will always hit the mark too as a great side dish.
There are all sorts of ingredients that can be added to pasta, different proteins vegetables and herbs. Here are some proteins you could add to your pasta to spice it up!
Add a protein:
- Fish such as Salmon or a white fish
- Any shell fish such as mussels or clams
Change it up with different veggies and fruits, yes…despite it being uncomfortable to the human brain, a tomato is in fact a fruit. (and avocado)
Veggies and more:
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Fresh herbs such as oregano and cilantro
- Experiment with different cheeses such as mozzarella, ricotta, feta, or asiago
Here are some other pasta dishes for you to enjoy
Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
- 8 oz Penne Rigate Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil separated
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
- 1 pint Grape tomatoes halved
- ½ Cup Half and Half
- 1 Cup vegetable broth
- 1 – 1 ½ Tbsp flour
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6 oz shredded Parmesan cheese reserve ¼ Cup to sprinkle on top
- Fresh Spinach 3 Cups or about 3 handfuls
- ½ tsp Red Chili Flakes
- Prepare pasta per directions on the box.
- While the pasta is cooking, take a large skillet and heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic until fragrant.
- Next, add the mushrooms and grape tomatoes and cook for 1-2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same large skillet over medium heat, combine the half and half, vegetable broth and whisk in the flour. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Continue to mix for 4-5 min or right until it begins to simmer.
- Once the broth has begun to simmer, add the pasta, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Lastly, add the shredded parmesan cheese and spinach, stir until the cheese has melted and spinach has softened.
- Add a dash of chili flakes if you like and serve right away! Enjoy!