Cucumber and Onion Salad is an easy side dish with crisp veggies and a creamy dressing. It’s great for sharing at BBQs and potlucks, or serve it as a dinner side salad for grilled chicken, steak, and pork. It’s the perfect summer side.
Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad
If you’re looking for a new easy side dish for the summer, this cucumber and onion salad recipe is a great one to try. It’s easy to make and has lots of fresh flavors.
It’s also a great way to use up cucumbers you grow in your garden or pick up at the farmer’s market. The crisp cucumber and onion pair perfectly with the creamy, lightly sweet dressing flavored with dill.
We love this during the summer as a side when we grill out - the flavors pair with lots of main dishes. Or, make a big batch for a backyard BBQ or potluck. It’s always a crowd-pleaser.
- English cucumbers - these are the kind without seeds
- Sliced red onions
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chopped fresh dill
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh ground pepper
How to Make Cucumber and Onion Salad
- Slice the cucumbers about 1/8” thick and place them in a medium-sized bowl. Add the sliced onions and lightly toss to combine.
- Mix the yogurt, vinegar, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and onions and toss to combine, so the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle more dill over the top for garnish.
What kind of cucumbers are best for a salad?
I like English cucumbers because they are seedless, so you don’t have to do much prep work. You can just slice them and add them to your salad. They’re also not as bitter as regular cucumbers.
You can use regular cucumbers, but I recommend slicing them in half lengthwise first. Scoop out the seeds and then slice them. You may even want to peel them first, but this is optional.
Can you make cucumber & onion salad ahead?
You can make the dressing ahead but don’t assemble it until you’re ready to serve the salad. Cucumbers have high water content, so if you let the salad sit, they will release water and make the salad watery.
How long does it keep?
It will keep in the refrigerator for a few days, but it will get watery. Because of this, it’s best to enjoy it when you make it.
What to Serve It With
What I like best about this cucumber and onion salad recipe is that it pairs with many other side dishes and main dishes. Here are some ideas:
- Pair it with steak kabobs or grilled skirt steak.
- It’s excellent with air fryer chicken thighs, grilled lemon chicken, or BBQ chicken.
- Or serve it alongside other side dishes like corn on the cob or grilled veggies.
This is the best cucumber and onion salad recipe – it’s so easy, and the flavors and textures are great. Make it soon and enjoy!
Cucumber and Onion Salad
- 5 Cups English cucumbers sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 Cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill more for garnish.
- 1 Tbsp White Sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Slice your cucumbers into approximately ⅛” thick coins, place in a medium bowl.
- Next, slice the red onion and add to the cucumber, gently toss until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, then add to the cucumbers and onion, gently toss until everything is coated.
- Serve garnished with fresh dill, enjoy!
Cucumber and Onion Salad is a simple side dish perfect for a potluck with a creamy dressing.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.