You don’t need to go out to a restaurant to enjoy flavorful chicken fajitas – you can make them at home in 20 minutes! This easy chicken fajitas recipe is made with the best fajita seasoning, fresh peppers, onions and tender and juicy chicken. Pile it in tortillas for a quick and easy dinner everyone will love.
I’m pretty sure once you try this chicken fajita recipe you won’t dole out the dollars to order them in a restaurant. My recipe is so simple, so fast and full of amazing flavors – it’s a quick 20-minutes recipe!
I love to make my favorite restaurant dishes at home and making a batch of sizzling fajitas is at the top of the list. Once I learned how to make chicken fajitas easy (this is such a simple recipe!) I never looked back. It’s just less expensive to make them at home and my recipe is so quick. And you know what? They taste so much better homemade, too!
The Secret for the BEST Chicken Fajitas
This simple chicken fajita recipe is all about the amazing fajita seasoning - it’s what makes the difference. Yes, you can buy seasoning already made at the store, but making your own from scratch is a game-changer. It’s also really easy and you probably already have some of the ingredients on hand:
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Chili powder
- Mexican Oregano
- Garlic powder
It’s basically a quick marinade that flavors and tenderizes the chicken before you cook it. The lime juice, which is acidic, tenderizes the chicken and all of the dried seasonings add tons of flavor.
For the oregano, I love to use Mexican oregano which is not the same as regular oregano that you might use to make an Italian pasta sauce. If you can’t find it in the spice aisle you may be able to find it in the Mexican food section near dried chiles.
If you’ve looked high and low and can’t find any, feel free to substitute regular oregano. It has a different flavor (it’s sweeter) but it will still work.
For the rest of the dish you will need:
- Sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chopped or sliced bell peppers
- Sliced red onion
- Olive oil
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Combine the ingredients for the seasoning in a bowl and add the chicken. Coat it evenly in the seasoning and set the bowl aside.
Heat olive oil a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook peppers and onions until the onions start to brown. Transfer the cooked veggies to a plate.
In the same skillet, add more olive oil and cook the chicken for five to seven minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the peppers and onions back to the pan and stir to combine.
Don’t Forget the Tortillas and Toppings!
I love to serve the fajitas in the sizzling hot skillet with all the toppings and tortillas on the side just like a restaurant does.
- Wrap a stack of flour tortillas in foil and pop them in a warm oven while you’re making the fajitas. Or, if you forget like I do half the time, you can warm them in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds before you serve them.
- I love to garnish the chicken fajitas with chopped fresh cilantro.
- We also have plenty of salsa, guacamole, sour cream and shredded cheese on the side for toppings!
More Tips and Tricks
To switch things up, you can serve this as a chicken fajita bowl – instead of tortillas, pile the chicken and peppers on cilantro-lime rice and add your favorite toppings.
This is a great meal prep recipe because you make it ahead and store the fajitas in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It’s easy to warm up on the stove or in the microwave for easy dinners and lunches.
Ready to add this fajita recipe to your meal plan? It’s so quick, easy and delicious I know you’re going to love it. We have it in our dinner rotation and never get tired of it – enjoy!
Other Dinners You'll Enjoy
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers cut into strips
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano I used “Mexican Oregano”
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Warm tortillas
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix together the fajita seasonings. Thinly slice the chicken and place in the bowl. Stir to coat, and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute the veggies, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Place the seasoned chicken strips in the skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, or until no longer pink on the inside.
- Add the veggies back to the skillet and toss to combine. Turn off burner. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve sizzling hot with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
This easy chicken fajitas recipe is made with the best fajita seasoning, fresh peppers, onions and tender and juicy chicken. Pile it in tortillas for a quick and easy dinner everyone will love.