Skip the drive-through and make Copycat Mexican Pizza at home. It’s an easy recipe with ground beef, beans, and crispy tortillas layered with cheese and enchilada sauce. Mexican pizzas are great for dinner or as a snack for parties.
It’s fun to recreate fast-food favorites at home, and this copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza is a fun and easy recipe to try.
If you’ve never tried one, a Mexican pizza is a “pizza” made with crispy tortillas that are stacked with fillings in between each layer.
This version has seasoned beef, refried beans, and other taco toppings. They are baked and then sliced like a pizza for serving.
This is a Mexican pizza copycat recipe that is pretty close to the original. Once you know how to make one, it’s easy to change the fillings and toppings to switch it up.
Table of Contents
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Olive oil
- Flour tortillas
- Refried beans
- Enchilada sauce
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced olives
- Sliced green onions
How to Make Mexican Pizza
Cook the ground beef in a skillet over medium her. Break it up while it cooks and, once it’s no longer pink, drain the liquid out of the pan.
Add the taco seasoning to the beef, following the instructions on the packet. Transfer the ground beef to a large bowl and cover it to keep it warm.
In the same skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook it for three to four minutes, flipping it every 20 seconds or so, or until it’s crispy. Repeat this step with the rest of the tortillas.
Place three crispy tortillas on a large baking sheet. Top each of them with refried beans. Top the beans with the taco meat.
Place another crispy tortilla on top of the ground beef and then spread some enchilada sauce on each. Next, add the diced tomatoes, and then sprinkle both kinds of shredded cheese over the top.
Bake the Mexican pizzas at 375°F for seven to ten minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Slice the pizzas into four pieces and garnish with the sliced olives and green onions.
Tips and Variations
Feel free to swap ground beef for ground turkey. You could use shredded cooked chicken to make this recipe, too.
For the beans, you can use regular refried beans or try refried black beans.
You can also use other Mexican-style cheese for this recipe.
I think these are best hot from the oven while the tortillas are still crispy. You can keep them in the refrigerator if you have leftovers, but the tortillas will soften. Give this copycat Mexican pizza recipe a try, and you won’t need to wait in line at the drive-through the next time you get a craving. It’s an easy and fun meal or appetizer. Enjoy!
More Copycat Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Copycat Mexican Pizza Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 – 15 ounce can refried beans
- 1 – 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- ¾ cup jack cheese shredded
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6- 8 ” flour tortillas
- ¼ cup olives sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- Green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and turn it up to medium heat. Add ground beef and break into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain liquid. Follow instructions on the taco seasoning packet. You will bring to a boil and then simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove ground beef to a large bowl and cover.
- In the same large skillet on medium heat add a small portion of your oil and add a tortilla. Cook the tortillas for 3-4 minutes until they start to get crispy. Flip them every 20 seconds or so. Repeat until all tortillas are ready.
- Place 3 tortillas on a large baking sheet. Divide your refried beans into three equal amounts and spread on each of the tortillas to create an even layer around the tortilla. Then add taco meat on top of the beans.
- Place the other 3 tortillas on top of the beans and meat. Spread about 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce on the top tortilla. Divide the tomatoes into 3 portions and place on top of the sauce. Mix the jack and cheddar cheese together and sprinkle over the top of the tortilla. Bake for 7-10 minutes. Cheese should be melted and everything should be hot.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle olives and green onion. Slice each tortilla into 4 pieces and serve.
Make these Mexican Pizzas right at home! They are great for dinner, an alternative to taco Tuesday or as a snack for parties.