Easy homemade Shrimp Fried Rice is a takeout-style recipe you can make at home. Juicy shrimp, eggs, vegetables, and rice are cooked together in a savory light sauce with soy sauce and sesame oil. It’s ready in about 30 minutes!
We love to get takeout, but it can get expensive, so it’s fun to make some of our favorite takeout dishes at home. This shrimp fried rice is a really easy one – it’s ready in less time it takes to pick up takeout!
If you’ve never made homemade fried rice, you will love how simple it is. It’s a great way to use up leftover meat and vegetables in the refrigerator and is so easy - perfect for a weeknight dinner.
This version pairs shrimp with peas, carrots, scrambled eggs, and seasonings. You can serve it as a side dish or make it a meal with some eggrolls on the side. Give this shrimp fried rice recipe a try, and you’ll make it every time you get that craving for Chinese takeout.
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Cooked white rice
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds
How to Make Fried Rice
This is a quick recipe that is ready in no time. Be sure to have your ingredients prepped and ready to go, so it’s easy to toss everything together when you’re ready to cook them.
How to cook shrimp fried rice:
- Sauté the garlic and shrimp in a large pan with olive oil. Once the shrimp are pink and opaque, take them out of the pan and set them aside.
- Scramble the eggs in the same pan and then transfer them to a plate.
- Cook the frozen vegetables and then add the rice.
How to season shrimp fried rice:
- Season the vegetables and rice with sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Add the shrimp and scrambled eggs back to the pan and cook them with the other ingredients for a few minutes.
- Garnish the shrimp fried rice with green onions and sesame seeds before serving.
I like to use eight ounces of shrimp for this recipe. You can use any size you want, but I like to use smaller shrimp, so more is in the dish. Be sure to peel and devein them before you cook them.
You can use other vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, red or yellow onion, and bell peppers are all good in fried rice. Just keep in mind different vegetables will need longer or shorter cooking times.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator, and they will keep for up to three days.
I hope you give this easy shrimp fried rice recipe a try soon! It’s always a favorite at our house – enjoy!
More Homemade Recipes for Takeout
Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
- 8 oz Shelled and deveined raw shrimp small
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil separated
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 2 Eggs
- 6 oz Frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups Cooked white rice
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Green onions sliced
- Black or white sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add garlic and saute until fragrant. Then add the shrimp and cook until opaque and the internal temp reaches 120 degrees. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In the same pan scramble the eggs, then set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil in the pan over medium heat, add the frozen peas and carrots. Be sure to stir occasionally to cook evenly. After 3-4 min add the rice, sesame oil and soy sauce. Cook for another 3-4 min stirring often.
- Add the shrimp and eggs back in and cook another 4-5min, stirring often.
- Serve immediately, top with green onions and sesame seeds.
This copycat takeout is full of juicy shrimp, eggs, vegetables, and rice in a savory light sauce with soy sauce and sesame oil.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.