This Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe is one of our favorite quick and easy 30 minutes meals. Bite-sized chicken cooked with fresh broccoli in a simple stir fry sauce is a dinner you'll want to make on repeat. It's full of flavor, easy to make, and the leftovers are great!
No matter how busy it gets around here, we can always manage to make this easy chicken and broccoli stir fry. It's the perfect dinner for busy weeknights.
It's also on the healthy side with lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fresh broccoli florets, and sliced onions. Add the sweet and savory stir fry sauce you get a delicious homemade meal in 30 minutes.
Add this one to your meal planning list, and you'll love how easy it is to make – we like to keep the ingredients on hand, so it's quick to pull together when it seems like there's no time to cook dinner.
Tips for Making the Best Stir Fry
Stir-frying is a Chinese cooking method that is very fast. Traditional stir fry dishes are cooked in a wok with hot oil that quickly cooks the ingredients. When you stir fry, you want to mix or toss the ingredients frequently as they cook.
Stir-frying can be a healthy way to cook, depending on the ingredients and how much oil you use. My chicken and broccoli stirfry recipe is light on the oil and has lean protein and vegetables for a lighter meal. Also, for this recipe, you don't need a wok. You can cook a stir fry in a skillet, too.
Because the food cooks quickly, it's a good idea to have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go before you start cooking. It will be a lot easier that way, and you won't have to worry about things overcooking as you are prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Broccoli florets
- Sliced yellow onion
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
- Chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Sliced green onions
How to Make Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Make the stir fry sauce by whisking the soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger in a medium-sized bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with water until the cornstarch has dissolved. This mixture is called a slurry and will thicken the stir fry sauce.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken and sliced onions and cook them, stirring often, for three minutes.
Add the garlic and broccoli and cook them for four to five minutes or until the broccoli is hot and the chicken is cooked through. Be sure to stir frequently as everything is cooking.
Make a space in the center of the pan by pushing the chicken and veggies to the skillet's outer edge. Pour the sauce into the center of the pan, and then add the cornstarch mixture. Stir to combine them and bring the mixture to a simmer. It will thicken after a few minutes.
Once the sauce is thickened, the chicken stir fry is ready to serve! I like to pile the chicken, veggies, and sauce over cooked rice. Garnish each serving with the sliced onions.
This is a great recipe to make ahead because the chicken, vegetables, and sauce will keep well for three to four days in the refrigerator.
Just make it as instructed (along with rice, if desired), let it cool, and store it in individual containers. You can warm it up on the stove in a pan or in the microwave. Give this healthy chicken and broccoli stir fry a try the next time you're craving an Asian-inspired dish! It's great with egg rolls on the side, or just enjoy it as-is for a light and delicious meal.
More Copycat Takeout Recipes To Try
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 pound chicken cut into bite sized pieces and cooked
- 4 cups broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- ⅔ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Green onion for garnish
- In a medium bowl make the sauce by combining the soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger. Whisk until brown sugar dissolves and ingredients are fully combined. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water. Make sure the cornstarch dissolves.
- In a large skillet heat oil on high heat. Add chicken and onion. Cook until chicken for 3 minutes. Stir frequently. Add garlic and broccoli and cook for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli is hot. Stir frequently. Chicken should be cooked until no longer pink.
- Move The chicken and vegetables to one side of the skillet then pour the sauce onto the other side. Add the cornstarch mixture to the soy sauce and combine fully. Turn heat down to medium high and sauté until sauce thickens a bit. About 3-5 minutes. Serve over rice.
This Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe is one of our favorite quick and easy 30 minutes meals. It's full of flavor, easy to make, and the leftovers are great!