Garlic Butter Chicken is an easy main dish that has big flavors. Butter and garlic are a classic combination and are a delicious coating for seared chicken. Serve this garlic and butter chicken with pasta or rice for a great dinner.
I like cooking boneless skinless chicken breast because they are lean and easy to prep and cook. But they can get boring pretty quickly, especially if you prepare them the same way all the time.
This dish is a great way to switch things up. Seasoned chicken breasts are first seared in a pan before being brushed with a garlic butter sauce. Then you finish cooking the chicken in the oven. It’s a really easy dish.
Easy Garlic Butter Chicken Breast Recipe
- The best way to cook chicken breasts is to pound them first, so they are an even thickness. This ensures they cook evenly, and it also tenderizes the meat before you cook it.
- The chicken is seasoned with dried herbs and seasonings before it’s seared in a pan. Browning it first gives it a nice golden crust which adds flavor and texture.
- My garlic butter recipe is easy to make! No fancy cooking steps - you can heat in the microwave.
I’m excited to show you how to make garlic butter for chicken because it’s easy and delicious. You’ll want to add the sauce to everything once you try it.
The first step is to prep the chicken. For this recipe, I use four boneless chicken breasts.
Place them in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin or a meat mallet to pound them. They should be approximately the same thickness.
In a small bowl, combine the following ingredients for the seasoning:
- Dried thyme
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Coat the chicken on both sides with the seasoning and then set them aside while making the garlic butter.
Garlic Butter for Chicken
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine:
- Softened unsalted butter
- Minced garlic
- Smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Italian seasoning
Microwave the mixture in 10-second increments until the butter has melted. Stir to combine.
Brown the Chicken
Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat. Place the seasoned chicken in the pan and brown them for about two minutes on each side.
Brush the garlic butter on the chicken and then transfer the pan to the oven. Bake the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes at 425°F or until it’s cooked through.
What to Serve with Garlic Butter Chicken
Serve the chicken over cooked rice or pasta. Mashed potatoes are also good with this dish.
Add a vegetable side dish like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, or other cooked vegetable that you like.
Add a side salad with your favorite dressing.
How long does garlic butter last?
I like this recipe because you can double the garlic butter and freeze half of it to use later. Make it as instructed, and then freeze it in an airtight container for up to three months.
A Few More Recipe Tips
When you melt the butter in the microwave, keep a close eye on it. Check on it after each 10-second increment – it will melt pretty fast.
If you really love garlic, feel free to add an extra clove of garlic to the butter!
You can make this garlic butter chicken recipe ahead and keep it in the refrigerator for three to four days.
One of my favorite ways to use it for meal prep is for salads. Cut the chicken into pieces, toss them with lettuce and vegetables and add your favorite dressing.
Once you try this baked chicken, you will find all kinds of ways to use the simple garlic sauce. It works great with chicken and also steak, pork chops, fish – it adds tons of flavor. I hope you enjoy it!
More Chicken Recipes You'll Love
Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless chicken breasts pounded into equal thickness pieces
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter softened and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F with rack near the center. Pound the chicken breasts into equal thickness pieces (I put the chicken in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to pound them). In a bowl combine the thyme, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to your taste. Make sure both sides of the chicken get a thin covering of the mixture. Put aside to sit for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, paprika, Italian seasoning and pepper. You can soften the butter in the microwave by just letting it run 10 seconds at a time until melted. In a large oven safe skillet (cast iron preferred) add oil and pre-heat to medium high heat. Add chicken once the skillet is hot and sear for about 2 minutes per side. Just long enough to get a nice crust. Brush the melted butter onto both sides of the chicken.
- Place skillet in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking internal temperature after 10 minutes. Once the internal temperature reaches 165°F remove from oven and let rest. Serve!
- The butter will melt pretty fast. Keep a close eye on it while in the microwave - Serve with rice or pasta.
- If you are a complete garlic lover, add a 4th clove of garlic to the butter.
- You can freeze left over garlic butter and use later if you want to make a double batch. You can freeze in an airtight container for up to three months.
This recipe is an easy main dish that has big flavors. Butter and garlic are a classic combination and are a delicious coating for seared chicken.